Applications are invited from highly motivated candidates for selection as Junior Research Fellows (JRF) in the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL). JRFs at PRL will be encouraged to register for a Ph.D. degree at an Institute/University with which PRL has an MoU. PRL’s research scholars will adhere to the norms of the registering Institute/University as agreed upon in the MoU.
PRL, known as the “cradle of space sciences,” is a premier national research institution under the aegis of the Department of Space, Government of India. The broad areas of ongoing research activities in PRL are Astronomy & Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space & Atmospheric Sciences, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Optical Physics, Astrochemistry, Theoretical Physics, Geosciences, and Planetary Sciences. The candidates selected as JRFs will be joining PRL in July 2020.
Key Research Areas
- Instrumentation and stellar astrophysics and exoplanet research
- The flow of Astrophysical plasma, Numerical simulation, Particle acceleration in space plasma
- X-ray/Infrared/Optical studies of Be/X-ray Binaries (Physics stream), Understanding the properties of X-ray pulsars at different luminosity levels
- Understanding cluster formation in molecular cloud complexes.
- Astronomical polarimetry, milky way studies, astronomical instrumentation.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Science or Engineering with at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grades at both Bachelor’s and Master’s levels.
- Candidates from Physics, Chemistry, Geochemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Applied Physics, Planetary sciences disciplines are eligible to apply.
- Those candidates expecting their Master’s degree by August 2020 are also eligible to apply, subject to having secured at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grade(s) up to the last semester.
- Applicants should have qualified any one of the following examinations:
- CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) JRF/LS [December 2018/June 2019/December 2019] in Physical Sciences / Chemical Sciences / Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean, and Planetary Sciences.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) [GATE 2018/GATE 2019/GATE 2020] in Physics / Geology and Geophysics / Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences / Chemistry.
- Joint Entrance Screening Test [JEST 2020] in Physics
Please note that if the applicant possesses more than one score in either GATE or NET then the best among them has to be provided in the application.
Applicants whose ranks are in the range of 1- 500 in any of the CSIR-UGC-NET/GATE/JEST tests are quite likely to be called for the interview at PRL subject to their fulfilling other eligibility criteria as mentioned above and their online application through PRL’s website. It is expected that prospective candidates have good proficiency in fundamental physics and mathematics.
Candidates should be interested in pursuing a research career in the current areas of research at PRL, as mentioned above. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed their Master’s degree in the last two years. There are about 25 positions available. However, the intake will depend on the performance of the candidate in the interview and the suitability of the candidate’s research interest in the research program of PRL. PRL is an equal opportunity institute, women candidates are encouraged to apply.
28 years as on the last date of submission of application.
For Junior Research Fellows (JRF): Rs. 31,000/- pm and for Senior Research Fellows (SRF): Rs. 35,000/- pm.
On the completion of two years, the JRFs will be reviewed and based on the recommendations of the review committee and approval of the Director, PRL, the JRF may be awarded the position of SRF with an enhanced fellowship as per rules. Performance of the Research Fellows shall be reviewed on a yearly basis for the continuation of fellowship.
How to apply?
Interested and eligible candidates who wish to apply may apply here on or before the last date.
- Online Application Starts: 31.03.2020 (07:00 am onward)
- Last date for online Application: 10 May 2020 (till 23:59 hrs.)
- Dates for Interviews at PRL, Ahmedabad: 4, 5, 8 and, 9 June 2020
For official notification click here
You may also be interested in: