Applications are now invited from motivated Doctoral Candidates for the Research Fellowship Program in Japan by the Matsumae International Foundation for a period of 3 to 6 months between April 2021 to March 2022.
The Research Fellowship Program has been announced upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available:
- Allowance for research and stay: JPY 220,000/- per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
- Insurance: Overseas Travel Accident/ Sickness Insurance: Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment; Sickness Insurance with a death benefit.
- Air Transportation: A coach-class round trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
- Start-up Fund upon arrival: JPY 120,000- is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences).
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
How to Apply?
To download the application form, click here. The filled-in application form should be sent to The Matsumae International Foundation 4-14-46, Kamiogi, Sunginami-Ku, Tokyo, 167-0043 Japan.
The application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by POST. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.
Phone Number: +81-3-3301-7600
Email ID: contact@mif-japan@org
For further details, click here.
You might also be interested in New India Foundation Fellowship [Stipend Upto Rs. 1.5L/Month]: Apply by August 30.