Applications are invited for Research Assistant at IIM Ahmedabad for the year 2022. The last date of application is 28 February.
About the Project
The research project is a collaborative project with Revitalising Communities, Reclaiming Civil Society Space (RCRC) (rcrc.in), a coalition of more than 60 civil society organisations which serve over 10 million people in more than 100 districts of 15 states in India. The RA will be working with Prof Ankur Sarin.
As part of the project, we are conducting detailed, large sample surveys to capture the dynamic and evolving picture of the rural communities in India. These surveys are being conducted across several states through the CSO partners.
The key outcome of the entire work will be to generate a deeper understanding of the vulnerabilities of rural India as revealed through the COVID-19 crisis, more informed policy response and more grounded action in the field by the CSO partners through periodic surveys.
The coalition and project has received financial support from Omidyar Network India, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Azim Premji Foundation, and several other funders.
The RA’s work will involve conducting research activities and analyzing primary household and village-level data on rural vulnerability and livelihoods based on a survey being conducted across 10+ states.
The candidate will be involved in working on different stages of the research process including survey design and execution, monitoring data collection, data cleaning, data analysis, producing reports and academic publications, and conducting consultations with partner NGOs.
Data analysis techniques will include applied econometric analysis primarily using R and/ or Stata, or other programming languages, apart from conducting literature review, drafting of briefs, reports and research papers.
The candidate may also be required to provide additional support in outreach, dissemination, and internal and external stakeholder management.
- Postgraduate degree in economics. Candidates with a relevant postgraduate degree, with strong quantitative and research skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong quantitative skills, and experience of using statistical software such as R or Stata is required
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in conducting primary research (fieldwork, data collection, managing surveys) and/or working with multiple secondary datasets.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in Hindi and additional languages is a plus.
- Willingness to travel to project sites (subject to COVID-19 measures)
- Experience managing partnerships with government entities, donors, and NGOs.
- Minimum Qualification: Master’s and at least 2 years of research experience
The appointment is initially for six months with a potential for extension based on performance. A Research Assistant will be expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week and may be required to travel within India.
Interested candidates can upload their updated CVs, cover letter and a writing sample (draft paper, master’s thesis, published paper/ report or technical document) to this form.
For any queries, please reach out to Karan Singhal (karans[at]iima.ac.in). Qualified candidates will be shortlisted and called for an interview. The position will remain open on a rolling basis until February 28, 2022.
You may also be interested in: