The Raman Research Institute, funded by the Government of India, is a premier institute engaged in research in basic sciences. Applications are invited from suitable candidates for three posts of Research Assistant in a time-bound research project purely on contractual basis
PRATUSH project in Radio Astronomy.
PRATUSH is a proposed space-based radio telescope in lunar orbit to carry out precision measurements of the radio sky spectrum.
This would enable the much sought-after detection of spectral distortions in the cosmic radio background arising from the formation and evolution of the very first stars and galaxies in the Universe.
The project is funded by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for pre-project activities.
The three successful candidates would work on the project PRATUSH, working in the fields of
2. analog receiver and
3. digital receiver.
The work would involve participating in the design and development of the sub-systems for PRATUSH, spanning across electromagnetic simulations, radio frequency (RF) system science, and digital signal processing.
A consolidated remuneration of Rs.23,500/- per month at commencement + HRA (24% of consolidated remuneration) will be paid to the selected candidates.
An increment of Rs.1000/- will be provided in the second year.
B.E/B.Tech degree in Electronics or Electronics & Communication Engineering, with at least 70% marks or 7.5 CGPA in the qualifying examination.
An MSc degree with Physics specialization with at least 70% marks or 7.0 CGPA in the qualifying examination.
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a research career is desirable.
- Documentary evidence of previous pursuits of interest in astronomy/astrophysics.
- Domain knowledge and experience in practical night sky astronomy with telescopes, analog and digital electronics, programming in C, Python and VHDL scripts, and project experience pertaining to CubeSats and/or other space-based experiments is desirable.
- Experience with the use of electromagnetic simulation packages like CST, HFSS, WIPL-D etc, RF design software like Genesys or ADS etc would be an added advantage. The application may document examples of project work or experience in these domain areas.
- Ability to work in teams and field stations – although the positions and work will be based at the Raman Research Institute campus at Bangalore, it may be needed to make field trips with the team members for testing and validation of radio astronomy receivers and/or system tests and measurements.
The upper age limit is 28 years as on last date of application. Age relaxation will be applicable as per Govt. of India rules for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/PWD categories.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply by filling up an online form, and uploading all the relevant documents/images, including:
- Scanned color copies of educational certificates and mark sheets,
- Curriculum Vitae (1-2 page),
- Statement of purpose (1-2 page), as to what motivates the applicant to apply for the above post and why the applicant is the appropriate choice for the opening,
- A recent passport size photograph and signature.
Each applicant would need to provide references of two individuals whom the Institute could contact for referral letters. Incomplete applications, particularly those without a Statement of Purpose, will not be considered.
The last date for receipt of applications is 15.10.2019.
All applications received till the due date would be given due consideration.