The Department of Biotechnology has instituted a scheme known as “Ramalingaswami Reentry Fellowship” for Indian Nationals who are working overseas in various fields of biotechnology and life sciences and are interested in taking up scientific research positions in India.
Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellows would be able to work in any of the scientific institutions/universities in the country and would also be eligible for regular research grant through extramural and other research schemes of various S&T agencies of the Government of India.
- Scientists working in any area of life sciences & biotechnology, bio-engineering, health care (human and animal), agriculture and veterinary biotechnology, bio-energy and allied areas will be eligible to apply.
- The applicant should possess a Ph.D/MD degree or equivalent in life sciences/ agriculture, bioinformatics or M.Tech in engineering or technology/ medicine etc. with at least three years of post-doctoral research experience in overseas research laboratories.
- Those who have already returned to India within one year of the closing date of this advertisement but without a job are also eligible.
- Applicants should have a proven/ outstanding track record as evident from research publications and recognitions.
- In case a fellow is offered permanent position, he/she can only avail either fellowship or salary at a given time
- The upper age limit for applying is 45 years.
Duration and Number
The duration of the fellowship will be for a period of five years. In exceptional cases, the duration of the award may be extended by additional 2 years after a fresh appraisal of performance. However, during extension only fellowship and HRA will be provided and no research/contingency grant will be provided.
Upto 75 fellowships will be awarded every year.
Nature of support
- The amount of the fellowship will be of Rs.1,00,000/- (consolidated) per month.
- HRA @ Rs. 18,500 p.m. consolidated.
- Each awardee will, in addition, receive a research /contingency grant of Rs. 10,00,000 lakhs for the 1st& 2nd year, Rs, 7,50,000 per annum for 3rd & 4th year and Rs.5,00,000 per annum for 5th year for purchase of consumables, minor equipment, international and domestic travel, engaging project staff and other contingent expenditure to be incurred in connection with the implementation of the project.
- Rs 50,000/annum institutional overhead.
- Awardees will be eligible for regular research grant/s through extramural and other research schemes of various S&T agencies of the Government of India, provided that a Co-PI is a regular faculty member.
How to apply
Applications may be sent as per proforma given in this link and duly forwarded by the competent authority to Dr. Meenakshi Munshi, Adviser/Scientist “G” Department of Biotechnology, Block-2, 7th Floor, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi -110 003, both as a hard copy as well as Soft copy.
The applications not forwarded by the host institution will not be considered.
Soft copy to be mailed at Email firstname.lastname@example.org only as a single file latest by 15th May, 2018.
Click here for official notification and here for the application format.