Department of Atomic Energy is pursuing a national level fellowship scheme known as “Raja Ramanna Fellowship Scheme” which is intended to utilize the services of active/retired scientists, engineers and technologists, who have been involved in high quality research in their specialized disciplines in the units of the DAE or any National Laboratory or University or Institute and who after retirement are keen to carry out R&D in the field of their choice and of interest to the DAE.
The host institute of the Raja Ramanna Fellow may be a unit of DAE (including aided institutions)or a University/ Institute or a National Laboratory in India.
1. To carry out research and development in the field of their choice and of interest to DAE, with a view to strengthen its programmes or to nucleate programmes of interest to DAE in non-DAE Units. Additionally he/she could take up writing of monographs or books on topics related to Atomic Energy and pursue human resource development including delivering lectures to students.
2. To carry out studies on policy issues in the nuclear arena with the objective of providing to the Government detailed analysis including feedback obtained based on informal discussions with experts at the national and international level.
Who can Apply
1. For the first objective, scientists, engineers & technologists retired from units of DAE including Aided Institutions are eligible. Preference will be given to those who were involved in the development of sensitive and/or critical technologies in the units of the DAE or are fellows of any of the major science or engineering academies.
Scientists, engineers & technologists of high caliber retired from non-DAE institutions can also be considered, provided their area of research is related to the programmes of the DAE and preference will be given to those who are fellows of any of the major science or engineering academies.
2. For the second objective, scientists, engineers & technologists retired from units of DAE including Aided Institutions are eligible. Preference will be given to those who were involved in the development of sensitive and/or critical technologies or have expertise in the analysis of issues related to nuclear policies
The tenure of the individual selected as Raja Ramanna Fellow would be three years. This is subject to the age limit of 70 years for holding the fellowship/award.
How to Apply
Applications will normally be reviewed twice a year (around 15th March and 15th September) but the review may be carried out at other times also in special cases.
The nomination papers should give the following information:
2. Designation (at the time of retirement)
3. Date of retirement
4. Full Official address
5. Date of birth
6. Highest degree
7. Field of specialization
8. Professional experience during the last 10 years of service
9. List of honours and awards with dates (including fellowships of the academies)
10. List of publications during the last 10 years
11. Write up on the programme with which the senior scientist will be attached as Raja Ramanna Fellow
12. Facilities proposed (research, office space, residential, any other) provided by the host institute to the scientist if selected.
Further application details can be found here.
The Award is proposed to consists of the following remuneration:
Rs.1,00,000/- per month Honorarium to be paid to the Scientist shall be subject to condition that Honorarium + pension + Dearness Relief does not exceed the emoluments drawn by the fellows at time of retirement. The honorarium of Rs.1,00,000/- p.m. will have to be reduced wherever necessary. The honorarium will be taxable at source.
Research Support Grant for Fellows working on the first objective:
The above amount is to be used for travel including international travel, communication, internet services, part-time services of office assistants and Stationery. Fellowship grant to Research staff [JRF or SRF or RA] will be reimbursed at actuals. Rate of Fellowship payable to JRF/SRF/RA shall be in accordance with the rates fixed by DAE from time to time.
Support Grant for Fellows working on the second objective:
Rs.1,00,000/- p.a. in the first year and Rs.50,000/- p.a. in the subsequent years.
Break-up of the above amount will be as under: 1.3.1 Lump sum grant of Rs. 50,000/- payable during the 1st year for procurement of Laptop /Computer/Desktop as the case may be.
Lump sum grant of Rs. 25,000/- per annum on telephone with broadband connection;
Lump sum grant of Rs. 25,000/- per annum for computer peripherals, consumables and stationery.