Submissions are invited for The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition for the year 2021. The last date of submission is 30 June 2021.
The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition is the world’s oldest international writing competition for schools, established in 1883. With thousands of young people taking part every year, it is an important way to recognise achievement, elevate youth voices and develop key skills through creative writing.
Community in the Commonwealth. With the global spread of COVID-19, we’ve seen the lives of many Commonwealth citizens affected. However through adversity, societies came together and stories of growth, community and hope continue to emerge.
SENIOR CATEGORY: Born between 1 July 2002 and 30 June 2007 (14-18 years of age)
- Discuss the following: “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
- Keeping connected through COVID-19
- It’s been 30 years since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, what does the world look like
- Imagine you are the Head of a Commonwealth nation heavily affected by COVID-19 and giving a national address at the end of the pandemic. What would you say to your community?
JUNIOR CATEGORY: Born on or after 1 July 2007 (under 14 years of age)
- The year is 2050 and you’ve been asked to write about the coronavirus pandemic for a museum. What story would you tell?
- Tell a story of how you, or someone you know, helped others during the pandemic.
- ‘We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again’ – HM Queen Elizabeth II After the pandemic, you are seeing a friend for the first time. What new hobbies would you share with them?
- What did you miss most during the pandemic?
Submit your entries via this page.
One winner and runner-up will be chosen from each category. Winners and runners-up will be brought to London for a week of educational and cultural events, culminating in a special Awards Ceremony.
A number of Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards will be given in both the Senior and Junior categories, rewarding excellence in writing. All successful entries will receive a Certificate of Participation.
For more related opportunities, check below: