Applications are invited for the following temporary post under the project titled “Shelf Sea and Shelf Break Processes of the Antarctic Margins and the Production of Dense Shelf Water”, in the Dept. of Ocean Engineering, IIT Madras.
The Antarctic Slope Front (ASF) is a dynamic feature, found almost all around the Antarctic continent. It forms between the shelf water masses and the warmer Circumpolar Deep Water (CDW). The ASF regulates the transport of shelf water masses and CDW masses across the continental slope. The on-shelf processes such as sea ice formation and freshwater fluxes are important determining factors responsible for the formation of Dense Shelf Water.
This study proposes to carry out hydrographic observations in transects that cross the continental slope and extend towards the coast, in both, the Prydz Bay and the India Bay, to obtain a snapshot of how the off-shelf water masses interact with the on-shelf water masses to produce the features that are observed in the ASF.
Initially for a period of one year, extendable based on performance.
- B. Tech / B.E / or Master’s degree in engineering or Sciences.
- Basic programming skills: data analysis, scientific computing. Python would be an added advantage.
- A background in physical oceanography or fluid dynamics would help.
- Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here.
- Please check the advertisement number Advt.38/2019 displayed and submit the application for the relevant position.
- A well-performing candidate may be encouraged to apply for a Ph.D. scholarship at IIT Madras to continue the work after termination of the project.
- The last date to apply is September 24, 2019.
Phone Number: 044- 2257 9778 / 9796
Email ID: email@example.com