About the Program
Product management is one of the fastest growing and most lucrative jobs available today. Companies have awoken to the desperate need for product managers to create products that customers love, that integrate design, functionality, and business solutions. This is a one of kind product management certification that covers the skill sets for the entire product lifecycle.
We start with the fundamentals of product management and why this role is so coveted as a launch pad for future CEOs and startup founders. By exploring the roles and responsibilities of being a product manager, we’ll identify its relationship to stakeholders external and internal, including customers, engineering, legal, finance, marketing, and customer service.
As a product manager you have to own the results of your product’s success by tackling risks early and setting up your teams for success. This is why we immediately move on to discussing product-market fit, with a detailed examination of target customers, customer’s underserved needs, value propositions, feature sets, and user experiences.
Designing the customer and user experience is essential to creating great products today. Gone is the old paradigm of “form follows function” model of design. The process must be iterative and follow the best product design and development processes. This essential product management course explains key design thinking principles around personas, story mapping, and prototyping. Product managers need to know and appreciate product designer tools and processes. By combining these principles with good scrum processes you’ll learn to create great products that don’t sacrifice design for functionality or feasibility.
Agile systems engineering ensures great products truly excel over time in all three areas of design, functionality, and technical feasibility. Agile systems engineering uses tools such as rapid prototyping, open set architectures, and platform design. By using an agile methodology not just for business and design, you’ll innovate and collaborate better, manage costly technical debt, and validate your product ideas with data science and innovation metrics.
Finally, you cannot lead products without core skills in leadership and influence. Product managers are masters at internal sales, team building, delegation, and empowerment. They also know that great product management careers are not built alone. From envisioning a product strategy to correctly portraying the product roadmap, the process must be inclusive, interactive, and motivating. This course will enable you to align product teams, product designs, and product development for speed and innovation at scale.
What you will learn?
- Understand the keys to successfully navigating the roles and responsibilities of being a product manager to champion change with internal and external collaborators and influencers.
- Learn how to truly know your target customer, your customer’s underserved needs, your value proposition, your product feature set, and your user experience, then integrate this knowledge into product and market requirements and positioning plans.
- Translate product ideas into tangible assets by creating wireframes, 3D renderings, prototypes, and minimum viable products (MVPs) to test assumptions and validate customer interests.
- Develop techniques for designing and modeling for fast feedback and idea sharing, system optimization with open architectures, validating functions and verifying performance, and leveraging and enabling the system designs, platforms, and ecosystems.
- Embrace modern product leadership to form and motivate product teams, and grow organizations that can both discover and deliver products at scale.
- John Johnson Strategic Program Manager, Faculty, Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland University of Maryland, College Park
- James Green Director of Entrepreneurship Education University of Maryland, College Park
- Cait von Schnetlage Faculty, Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland University of Maryland, College Park
To enroll in this program, click the link below.
Note: Noticebard is associated with edX through an affiliate programme.