About the Fellowship
The Prof. N. S. Ramaswamy Pre-Doctoral Fellowship is a highly selective programme instituted with the aim to increase social diversity of management academia in India. It is a flexible one-year apprenticeship programme designed to help the selected pre-doctoral fellows successfully apply to doctoral programmes in management and allied disciplines. The programme specifically targets applicants from historically underrepresented sections of the society.
The PreDoc programme is targeted at those sections of the society that are currently underrepresented in management academia. You may apply to the programme only if you belong to at least one of the target groups given here and meet the stated academic eligibility norms.
The 2018-19 Pre-doctoral Fellowships are available in the following disciplinary areas within management scholarship and research:
- Decision Sciences
- Economics & Social Sciences
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Systems
- Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management
- Production & Operations Management
- Public Policy
Duration of the Programme
This is a one academic year program (June 2018 through March 2019) and may be extended by another year, only under exceptional circumstances subject to adequate academic progress. All decisions made by the Pre-doctoral faculty committee on extensions are final and binding.
The PreDoc programme is a flexible mentor-driven apprenticeship program where the fellows acquire the formal and tacit knowledge necessary to succeed in a doctoral programme. Each fellow is assigned to a mentor who is a full time faculty member at IIMB. While the programme offers great flexibility, there are certain common elements that are required:
- Fellows will be required to attend the FPM preparatory program.
- Each fellow will complete at least two doctoral or MBA level three credit courses in her/his areas of interest and approved by the faculty mentor.
- Fellows will work for a minimum of 40 hours per week under the supervision of the faculty mentor.
- A math clinic (1.5 hours per week) and a writing workshop (1.5 hours per week) are required, except when waived by the faculty mentor and approved by the Pre-Doctoral faculty committee.
Monthly Stipend and other financial support
- Each fellow will receive a monthly stipend of Rs. 25,000 besides full tuition waiver for any coursework during their tenure.
- The fellows will also receive a house rent allowance as per prevailing institute norms (currently Rs. 8500 per month).
- The fellows will be provided with a one-time contingency grant (that can be used for academic purposes approved by the faculty mentor and the PreDoc faculty committee) as per prevailing institute norms (currently, Rs. 25,000 per academic year).
- Cubicle space with institute provided computer.
- Support to attend one national academic conference as an observer (with prior approval of the faculty mentor).
- Support to attend national conferences that are approved by the PreDoc faculty committee and where the fellow is the presenting author.
How to Apply
To apply online, click here.
Note: Candidates can apply to a maximum of two areas of specialization.
The application fee (non-refundable) is Rs. 500/-
Shortlisting will be based on the applicant’s resume. This will be followed by an interview for final selection. Interviews are expected to be held in the third week of April 2018 (tentatively).
- Application Deadline: March 11, 2019 (5:00 p.m.)
- Interview: April 24, 2019*
- Offers & Waitlist: April 26, 2019*
- Offer Acceptance: May 03, 2019*
- Registration Deadline: May 27, 2019*
*These dates are tentative & subject to change, if required.
Tel: +91 80 26993013/3017