TISS Mumbai invites application for Post-Doctoral Research Associate under The British Academy, UK Funded Project for the year 2021. The last date of application submission is 28 Feb 2021.
- Name of Post: Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA)
- No of Posts: 1 (one)
- Duration: 2 years Fixed term
- Project Principal Investigator: Professor Ayona Datta (UCL)
- Expected date of joining: 1 April 2021
About the Project
Rapid and widespread growth of urban peripheries in the global south have highlighted their significance as the frontiers of planetary scale urbanisation. At the same time, global policy initiatives directing wider public sector reforms through e-governance have ushered a new era of digitalisation of urban municipalities.
In India, this ‘digital revolution’ in governance has presented profound challenges to urban peripheries, with burgeoning slums and labour camps, degraded infrastructures and urban services. This presents several challenges to fulfilling the UN Sustainable Development Goals #10: Reduce Inequality, #11: Sustainable cities and communities, and Habitat III-New Urban Agenda.
This project will examine how urban peripheries are being transformed by Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and digital infrastructures and how these are in turn transforming marginal citizens’ bargaining power and relationships with the Indian state.
Through visual, digital and participatory methodologies developed with marginal actors, this project will produce insights into processes of digitising the peripheries and address the wider gaps in national digitisation and urbanisation initiatives.
- PhD awarded in Human Geography with specialization in urban/development geography.
- Experience or interest in digital democracy and urban governance
- Strong inter-personal and written communication skills
- Expertise in social research methods (interviews and focus groups)
- Knowledge/understanding of digital and participatory methods.
- To work in a timely and detailed manner, delivering required outputs and activities.
- Take responsibility for day-to-day liaison across the team in India and UK.
- To be meticulous with documentation and update and maintain project records as and when needed.
- Willingness to relocate to Mumbai’s peripheries in order to be close to fieldwork.
- To prepare for publication: project reports, policy briefs, toolkits and any other documentation when required.
- To deliver outputs on time and to agreed specifications, relevant to the overarching project(s) within which the work is based.
- To be meticulous in data archiving to fulfill commitments to open access.
- To support organization of stakeholder workshops in India
- To present research findings and papers at project conferences in India and UK and to contribute to the international visibility of project findings.
- Any other related work as deemed relevant by project PIs.
Candidates can send their application with the following details.
- 2-page statement of motivation outlining how they will meet the job responsibilities.
- 2-page CV outlining Education, Employment, Publications, Conference presentations and Research experience.
- Names and contact details of 3 academic referees (references will be sought if shortlisted for interview)
- 2 samples of writing (book/thesis chapter or journal article)
A Single PDF file containing all the sections with name and contact details on the first page should be emailed to recruitment.pdra.tiss[at]gmail.com.
The subject line of email should be ‘Application for the post of PDRA’. Late applications shall be rejected. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual interview in early March 2021 (date to be communicated).
- The last date of receiving the application is by 28th February 2021.
- The selected candidate is expected to join the job on 1 April 2021.
Rs. 68000 rupees per month.
Professor Abdul Shaban