ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF)–Crop Modeller/Physiologist with GEMS team. The position will be primarily based at ICRISAT- Zimbabwe (with long-periods of time spent at ICRISAT – India and other ICRISAT and CGIAR centers) and support the local crop improvement teams with quantitative analysis to understand and quantify the production limitations of the crops within the scope of AVISA – “breeding modernization efforts”.
- PhD degree in Quantitative plant physiology, Plant Biology, Statistics, Agronomy, Big data, with good understanding of Genetics or related disciplines with 0-2 years of experience post Ph.D.
- Experience in use of crop simulation modelling tools
- Programming skills (R, C++) and big data management, high-performance computing
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to interact effectively in a multi-cultural and multidisciplinary environment
- Creativity and ability to work independently and in a team-based environment
- Ability to draft high-quality research articles
- Desirable: Background in quantitative genetics (e.g. QTL, GWAS mapping), crops stress physiology, mathematics or molecular biology is an advantage Insight into agricultural production systems
- Develop the crop modelling frameworks (i.e. APSIM, DSSAT, SSM) to systematically characterize target production environments for abiotic stress factors which influence crop productivity (Africa).
- Understand important crop adaptive features (and their genetics), basic agronomy and predict their value in the target cropping systems.
- Design and conduct experiments to support data collection for model development and parameterization of genotypic coefficients.
- Cross-disciplinary communication and collaboration, team player
- Training of students (national and international) and technical staff
- Field and platform experiments designing, data analysis and interpretation; preparation of reports and journal articles
How to apply?
- Interested and eligible candidates can apply online via this page.
- Applicants should apply on or before 23-August-2020, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.