Applications are invited for ATREE PhD Programme in Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies 2019. Apply by April 12.
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) is one of South Asia’s leading conservation and sustainable development research organizations with a strong interdisciplinary emphasis. ATREE has worked on social-environmental issues from local to global policy levels. ATREE envisions a society committed to environmental conservation and sustainable and socially just development.
About the Programme:
The programme is recognized by Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and is one of the few programmes in India that provides students training in natural science and social science to conduct interdisciplinary research on biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
Disciplines represented in the faculty include ecology, plant and invertebrate taxonomy, conservation genetics, hydrology, water quality, landscape ecology, economics, development studies, institutional analysis, sociology, and political ecology.
- Students with prior training in any branch of the social, natural, or engineering sciences, and humanities are eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
- Selected students will register for core courses for two semesters, after which they will conduct independent research under the guidance of a doctoral advisory committee that is chaired by the faculty advisor.
- Five students will each receive a fellowship for a period of three years. The fellowship amount will be Rs. 25,000 (pre-registration) and Rs.28, 000 (post-registration) per month. Contingency support for research at Rs. 50,000 per year for two years will also be provided.
- Faculty advisors will work closely with their students to obtain fellowship and research funding after the 3rd year to enable students to successfully complete the programme.
Admission and Eligibility:
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in any social science, natural science, engineering or humanities discipline and have secured a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent.
- Applicants will appear for an entrance exam in ATREE.
- Candidates who have qualified for UGC-CSIR (minimum NET), GATE, ICSSR or equivalent exams, or have an M.Phil. degree are not required to take the entrance exam and will qualify directly for the interview.
Candidates seeking admission for the Ph.D. programme at ATREE should submit the following documents:
- A completed application form. Click here to download the form.
- Copies of degree certificate (or provisional degree certificate if the degree certificate has not been received yet), and Master’s course mark sheets.
- A written statement of purpose in the applicant’s own words, which highlights his or her research and career goals (maximum 1000 words).
- Confidential reference letters from two referees sent directly by the referees to the address below by email or post.
- Updated resume.
Applicants should submit completed application and all supporting documents by email to email@example.com or post to Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur, Bengaluru-560 064.
- Email: phd[at]atree.org
- Phone: +91-80-23635555 Extn: 121
For further details, click here.