The National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) is looking for exceptionally motivated students interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research in conflict and security studies, natural and engineering sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the arts.
Unencumbered by the constraints of traditional disciplinary Ph.D. programs, NIAS Ph.D. students have a unique opportunity to broaden their intellectual horizons beyond their narrow training during their thesis research in one of the listed areas. NIAS not only values such cross-pollination of ideas but encourages and provides the necessary support to its students to develop an interdisciplinary orientation to problem-solving. This interdisciplinary ethos is also reflected in the work of its faculty and research scholars.
National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) was conceived and founded in 1988 by the late Mr. J. R. D. Tata, who sought to create an institution to conduct advanced multidisciplinary research. The objective is to nurture a broad base of scholars, managers, and leaders who would respond to the complex challenges that face contemporary India and global society, with insight, sensitivity, confidence, and dedication.
- School of Conflict & Security Studies Programme
- School of Humanities
- School of Natural Sciences and Engineering
- School of Social Sciences
For a detailed list of specializations, click here.
Candidates must have a Bachelors & a Masters/ M.Phil Degree in the respective fields in which they wish to pursue their doctoral program. Candidates must also have qualified CSIR/ DST/INSPIRE/UGC JRF. Final year students are also invited to apply. The name and details of two referees must also be attached.
How to Apply?
- Students are requested to apply under one school and one area ONLY.
- All applications will be submitted through Online, Offline application will not be considered.
- To apply online, click here.
- The last date to apply is April 20, 2020.
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for a written test and interview on June 8th and 9th, 2020.
Email ID: email@example.com