Applications are invited from bright and qualified candidates to pursue doctoral research at the National Institute of Biomedical Genomics (NIBMG), West Bengal. The selected students are expected to work on human diseases with emphasis on gaining biological insights into disease mechanisms using clinical samples and appropriate models, both in silico and in vivo.
NIBMG is equipped with state of the art technologies which include single-cell sequencing and bulk DNA sequencing NGS platforms, extensive computational and bioinformatics facility, genetic engineering including cutting-edge CRISPR-Cas Genome editing laboratories, FACS (cell sorter), low and high-resolution imaging facility, Multiplex Elisa/ ALPHA-LISA, upcoming state-of-the-art zebrafish and proteomics facilities.
National Institute of Biomedical Genomics is a national-level research institute for genomic medicine. It is located at Kalyani West Bengal—50 km from Kolkata. It has been established as an autonomous institution under the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
The broad areas of research on which students are expected to work are listed below:
- Biomedical Genomics and the functional implications in the context of Infectious disease; Chronic disease and Cancer.
- Computational Biology and Statistical Genomics.
Admissions to NIBMG are based on two categories as follows:
- Master’s degree in any discipline of Biological Sciences (Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Biophysics or related disciplines).
- Candidates in the general category must have secured at least 55% aggregate in the Master’s degree. This will be relaxed for reserved categories as they are only required to successfully complete the Master’s degree.
- An applicant must have qualified in the junior research fellowship conducted by UGC, CSIR, ICMR, DBT (category I only), NBHM, BINC, and must have a valid award letter of Research Fellowship at the time of interview.
- DST-INSPIRE students with a provisional certificate from DST are also eligible to apply. Candidates who have qualified for Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or any other fellowship for the reserved categories are encouraged to apply.
- Should have an MBBS or B.Tech (Biotechnology) with at least 55% marks along with a valid junior research fellowship from UGC, CSIR, ICMR, DBT (category I only).
- Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrable research training in the form of summer training or short-term courses in established research laboratories in preparation for a research career in biomedical sciences. This condition is not applicable to individuals belonging to reserved categories.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here. The online applications will be accepted until 5 PM on 15th June 2020. Short-listed candidates will be called for a formal interview to make the final selection. The interview will be in July 2020.
Phone Number: 033 2589 2151
For further details, click here.
You might also be interested in PhD, PG & UG Admissions 2020 at Raksha Shakti University, Gujarat [Entrance Exam on July 17]: Multiple Deadlines.