Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the admission to Ph.D. Programme 2019 at National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bengaluru. Apply by April 25.
About the Programme:
The National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) is looking for exceptionally motivated students interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research in natural and engineering sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the arts.
Unencumbered by the constraints of traditional disciplinary Ph.D. programmes, NIAS Ph.D. students have a unique opportunity to broaden their intellectual horizons beyond their narrow training during their thesis research in one of the listed areas.
NIAS not only values such cross-pollination of ideas but encourages and provides the necessary support to its students to develop an interdisciplinary orientation to problem-solving. This interdisciplinary ethos is also reflected in the work of its faculty and research scholars.
Admissions to the NIAS Ph.D. Programme are open to those who have completed/are completing a Master’s/M.Phil. degree in any relevant subject in the natural sciences, engineering, mathematics, social sciences, humanities or the arts, and with a consistently proven academic record (minimum 55% marks). Some research and/or field experience in the concerned areas will be preferred.
- A limited number of selected candidates will be eligible to receive NIAS fellowship, which will be available for a period of four years on a yearly renewable basis.
- The NIAS fellowship amount is currently fixed at Rs.25,000/- per month for the first two years and Rs.28,000/- per month from the third year, with an additional 24% per month as House Rent Allowance.
- Limited hostel seats are available on campus for women.
- Admission to the NIAS Ph.D. Programme will be based on a common entrance test and two levels of interview.
- However, the candidates who have qualified the CSIR/DST/ INSPIRE/UGC-NET with assured fellowship are exempted from the written examination of the NIAS common entrance test. The candidates must qualify in the two rounds of interview.
Click here to apply.
- Last Date for receiving an application with all required documents submitted online is 25th April 2019.
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for a written test and interview on 17th and 18th June 2019.
Email: jnsandhya[at]nias.res.in, admin[at]nias.res.in