Applications are invited for Peace Scholar Fellowship Program 2022-23 by USIP. The last date of application is 26 October 2021.
USIP’s Peace Scholar Fellowship program awards non-residential fellowships to students enrolled in U.S. universities who are writing doctoral dissertations on topics broadly related to conflict management, peacebuilding and relevant security studies. Since 1988, the program has supported the dissertations of 371 young scholars, many of whom have gone on to distinguished careers in research, higher education, and policy making.
This program partners with the Minerva Research Initiative to support additional fellowships relating to topics on peace and security studies. Currently, the program awards up to 18 scholarships per year, and awards support both research and writing stages of work on dissertations.
Applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in the field of international relations, peace and conflict studies and other related academic disciplines, as well as diplomacy and international policy-making, are strongly encouraged.
- The competition is open to PhD candidates enrolled in U.S. universities who have successfully completed all of the required classwork and any required comprehensive exams.
- Non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply, however they must be PhD candidates currently enrolled at a U.S. university. Students at international and satellite universities are not eligible.
- There is no age requirement for Peace Scholars.
- All applicants must be doctoral candidates at the time of application. Master’s students or other students pursuing graduate coursework are not eligible to apply.
- Registration for the Peace Scholar competition opens on Tuesday September 14, 2021, and closes at 4:00 PM EDT on Friday October 15, 2021.
- Applications are due by 4:00 PM EDT on Tuesday October 26, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Letters of recommendation are due by Tuesday, November 2, 2021.
- Awards are announced by spring 2022.
Registration: The application process begins with registration. Please go to usip.fluxx.io to register for this competition. Registration is required for all applicants to this competition even if you have registered previously for another USIP competition. Registration opens on Tuesday, September 14, 2021, and all applicants must register online by Friday October 15, 2021, at 4:00 pm EDT.
Application: After completing the registration, applicants must prepare and submit a complete application. The deadline for submitting the application is Tuesday, October 26 at 4:00 pm EDT. Further instructions on completing the application are included in USIP’s online application system FLUXX. Please note that USIP will not be able to provide status updates on submitted applications at any time.
Amount & Duration
USIP funds up to 18 Peace Scholars for a 10-month non-residential fellowship. Peace Scholars receive stipends of up to $20,000 for the academic year, paid directly to the individual in three tranches. Peace Scholar awards may not be deferred.
Peace Scholars are required to participate in an annual workshop. When their dissertation is completed and approved by their committee, the Peace Scholar is required to submit a copy to USIP at PeaceScholarFellows@usip.org.
You may also be interested in: