The Department of Metallurgy Engineering and Materials Science, Indian Institute Of Technology (IIT), Indore is organizing an Online Faculty Development Program (FDP) On Advances in Corrosion Science and Engineering from November 21 to 25, 2020.
Indian Institute of Technology, Indore (IIT Indore or IITI), located in Madhya Pradesh, is one of the Institutes of Technology established by the Government of India in 2009. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares eight new IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT.
The objective of this Faculty Development Program (FDP) is to bring together academicians, scientists, and researchers through academic training and learning activities to augment and expand on acquired knowledge and encourage in-depth discussions through tutorials to prepare for research-led activities.
The course is designed to provide basic and advance understanding to the participants on corrosion science and engineering. The course will cover topics in the analysis of corrosion by advanced instrumental techniques, various approaches for corrosion protection, mitigation, designing of corrosion experiments, and materials selection for corrosion protection.
- Define corrosion and recognize the economic, environmental, and safety impact of corrosion.
- Back to the basics of Corrosion Science and Engineering: Recognize terms and definitions of basic electrochemistry, as well as define the processes and concepts of electrochemistry, oxidation and reduction reactions, thermodynamics, kinetics, and passivity, forms and types of Corrosion, how to recognize each form and how to control each form, Susceptibility to hydrogen damage effects and Weldment Corrosion, etc.
- Monitoring of Corrosion: Corroded metal surface examination by microscopic and spectroscopic technique, Pit formation analysis, Linear polarization method, Electrochemical impedance spectroscopic (EIS) measurement, Corrosion monitoring in presence and absence of oxygen, Corrosion analysis by Fluorescence spectroscopic method, Thermogravimetric analysis, etc.
- Corrosion Protection: Galvanization- Cathodic protection, Sacrificial anode designing. Coatings Development of soft material-based coatings, Characterization of coating materials, Coating methods, Characterization of coatings by EIS, and contact angle measurements. Development of corrosion-resistant alloys.
- Roll of metal oxide formation in corrosion protection: Pourbaix diagram, Pilling–Bedworth ratio and case studies.
Who can Attend?
This course is tailor-made for the faculty members and scientists from TEQIP institutions who want to gain knowledge and expertise in the field of corrosion science and engineering from any academic background.
There is no registration fee for faculty members from TEQIP institutes. For participants from non-TEQIP institutes the registration fee is as follows:
- Rs. 10,000 (for industry personnel)
- Rs. 4,000 (for faculty/ scientist)
- Rs. 2,000 (for student)
The registration fee is to be transferred to the following bank account details: Beneficiary Name: Registrar IIT Indore; Bank Name: Canara Bank; Branch: IIT Indore, Khandwa Road, Simrol, Indore; Account number: 1476101027440; IFSC Code: CNRB0006223; SWIFT Code/ BIC: CNRBINBBISG. Evidence of payment should be emailed in advance to confirm the participation (Participant from TEQIP sponsored institutes are exempted).
To register for the course, click here. The last date to register is November 12, 2020.
The Number of participants is limited to 50 on a first-come-first-basis.
Dr. Mrigendra Dubey
Department of Metallurgy Engineering and Materials Science,
Indian Institute of Technology Indore,
Indore-453552, Madhya Pradesh
Email: email@example.com; Phone: 0732 4306 (3258)
For full notification, click the link below.
You might also be interested in Online Course on Noise & Vibration Monitoring of Mechanical Systems by IIT Indore [Oct 29-31]: Register by Oct 27.