About the Course
The course is aimed at sharing latest knowledge on pollution control, resource conservation, and livable communities through innovative technologies, ultimately towards smart and sustainable cities. The term “Smart City” has now become a buzzword and is extensively used and talked about in the recent past more-so than ever before.
However, the definition or the concept of smart city may vary based on how one perceives it. As exemplified by the Smart Cities Mission of the Government of India (GoI), the objective of this initiative is “to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions”.
The focus is on meeting the minimal needs of a city first and then looking at the opportunities to improve the lifestyle of the people by incorporating innovative technologies, best urban planning practices, development of public-private partnerships and by making changes to policies to realize a sustainable development.
The essence of this mission is also aimed at creating a replicable model which can set an example to other aspiring cities to transform themselves into a smart city thereby spearheading the creation of similar Smart Cities across the country.
There is a pressing need for ‘Smart’ solutions thorough the initiatives as such in order to cope with the grand challenges of the world including global climate change and increasing population.
Application of smart solutions will enable the cities, through states and through nations to bring about a reform in the use of technology, information and data to improve the infrastructure and services and at the same time improve the quality of life, and also preserve the planet earth with its rich resources for the coming generations.
The primary objectives of the course are as follows:
- To expose the emerging global challenges and concepts of sustainability, resiliency, and sustainable development
- To inform on sustainability and resiliency assessment frameworks
- To understand on sustainable and resilient engineering practices
- To inform the examples and case studies of sustainable and resilient built infrastructure
- Day 1- Session 1: Emerging Global/Local Challenges for Sustainable Development. Session 2: United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- Day 2- Session 1: Triple Bottom Line (TBL) of Sustainability Framework. Session 2: Resiliency and Resilient Design Framework
- Day 3- Session 1: Carbon Footprint and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). Session 2: Examples of LCA Application
- Day 4- Session 1: Green Buildings and LEED. Session 2: Sustainable Civil Infrastructure and Envision
- Day 5- Session 1: Sustainable Waste/Materials Management. Session 2: Sustainable and Resilient Built Infrastructure: Case Studies.
Who can attend?
- Executives, engineers and researchers from manufacturing, consultancy firm, service and government organizations including R&D laboratories.
- Students at M.E./M.Tech./MS/PhD or Faculty from reputed academic institutions and technical institution preferably with engineering background
- Faculty who is teaching the similar subject
- Interested candidates can register online via this page.
- Indian participants: INR 1000/-
- Foreign participants: US$100/-
- NITJ Faculty: Free Registration
Email: agnihotriak[at]nitj.ac.in, kapoork[at]nitj.ac.in
NITJ’s Online Course on Sustainable, Resilient & Smart Built Infrastructure in Developing Countries.