The Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati is organizing an Online Short Term Course on Photonics and Photovoltaics: Devices, Circuits, and Metrology from December 11 to 24, 2020.
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is a public technical and research university established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India. It is the sixth Indian Institute of Technology established in India.
The scope of the proposed short-term course includes basic and general concepts in optoelectronics, photonics, photovoltaics, photonic integrated circuits, plasmonics, and optical measurement techniques. Basics of semiconductor device physics, which are essential for understanding the subsequent lectures, will be reviewed in the initial lectures.
Separate lectures will be dedicated to each optical component to cover from basic design to introducing advanced concepts wherever necessary. The operation of various passive and active photonic devices will be discussed including their design techniques and performance analysis. The basics of solar energy and the operation of solar cells will be discussed. Efficiency determining parameters and loss mechanisms will be discussed in detail.
The program would be broadly covering the following topics of relevance:
- Review of Semiconductor Device Physics
- Photovoltaics Devices
- Photonics devices
- Optical Communication System
- Optical Modulators, Multiplexers
- Hands-on session of different device simulation platforms
- Photonics Integrated Circuits
- Passive PIC: Waveguides
- Passive PIC: Power Combiner, Coupler
- Active PIC
- Speckle Metrology
- Digital Holography
- Digital Fringe Projection Profilometry
- Fundamentals of Nanophotonics & applications of Plasmonics: Methods of tuning surface plasmon resonance
- Methods for theoretical modeling and simulation of nanophotonic devices involving nanoparticle arrays
- Metamaterials and Metasurfaces: A brief Overview and applications
- Cloaking and Invisibility with metamaterials: Basics of Transformation Optics
- Promises of nanophotonics with new alternative materials and with deep learning
You might also be interested in Online FDP on Advances in Earthquake Engineering by COE Pune [Jan 4-8]: Register by Dec 31.
The course is open to the faculty members/ researchers of AICTE approved engineering colleges, practicing engineers from industries and government organizations/ departments. No course fee would be charged for participants sponsored by AICTE approved institutions. Participants (teachers or non-teachers) from other government and private organizations are eligible provided they pay a course fee of ₹2,500/- for government organizations and ₹5,000/- for private organizations. The payment is to be made by Netbanking / UPI if selected. Details will be mailed to the selected participants.
To register for the course, click here.
The last date to register is December 7, 2020. All the registered participants will get E-certificate after successful completion of the course.
For full notification, click the link below.