Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Japan (OIST) invites applications from international students for a Research Internship Programme between April – Sep 2021.
The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. These 2-6 month placements give the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique.
Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. Specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change.
Candidates are considered for admission without regard to gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status. Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged.
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions. Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution.
Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST. Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline.
In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
OIST provides living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
OIST will pay for one direct round trip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
How to apply
Apply online at this page.
The last date to apply is Oct 15, 2020.
1) Curriculum Vitae Sheet – OIST CV SHEET
2) Personal Statement – STATEMENT SHEET
Please write a 1 page statement including the following points:
- How do OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise & skillset? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest & fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/ aspirations?
3) Academic Transcript – Upload a scan of your current academic transcript in PDF format. Unofficial partial transcripts are accepted.
4) Recommendation Letter – A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. The application system will ask him/ her directly, using the email contact details that you provide. Please obtain the consent of that person before submitting their detailsin the form. Be sure to also confirm the e-mail address before entering it in the web-form. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when a letter of recommendation is received by OIST.
5) ID Photo – Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation (image must be in JPG format, and less than 5 MB)
Application period: September 15- October 15
Approximate notification date: January
Desired internship starting date range: April – September
Due to COVID-19, arrivals of students residing outside of Japan is subjected to the international travel restrictions. If you are not permitted to travel on your desired schedule, OIST will try our best to adjust your attending period, but please note that it may not always be possible. Upon arrival, students are required to undertake PCR testing prior to starting the program. There will be no fee for this.
For any queries, use this contact form.
For full details, visit the official website given below.