National Institute of Technology (NIT) Jamshedpur is an Institution of National Importance set up by an Act of Parliament (Act 29 of 2007) namely, the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007, which received the assent of the President of India on the 5th June, 2007.
As per the provisions of the said Act, NIT Jamshedpur offers academic programmes: B. Tech. (Hons.), M. Tech., MCA, M. Sc. and Ph.D. in various disciplines. NIT Jamshedpur has well qualified and experienced faculty and dedicated supporting staff.
Admission to Ph.D. Programme for Autumn Semester 2019-2020.
Categories of Ph.D programme
(a) Institute Research Scholars (Full Time): Candidates under this category are entitled for fellowship from the Institute as per MHRD norms. The candidate must have qualified GATE.
Vacancies in various department under this category:
Reservations for SC/ST/OBC/PWD/EWS are applicable as per GOI norms.
(b) Sponsored Research Scholars (Full Time):
Candidates under this category receive financial support from AICTE under QIP scheme or from Government Institutes/ organisations under study leave. Foreign students shall be sponsored by their Government or awarded scholarship by Govt. of India, ICCR or other such organisations/ agencies.
(c) Self Financed Research Scholars (Full Time):
Candidates under this category are those who support themselves or receive fellowship from other agencies such as UGC, CSIR, DST, JEST, etc.
(d) Self Financed Research Scholars (Part Time):
- Candidates under this category shall be persons employed in nearby (within 40km radius from N.I.T. Jamshedpur) Industries/Institutes/R&D organisations. They shall be required to furnish no objection certificate from the employer.
- Candidates employed in Industries/Institutes/R&D organisations outside 40 km radius shall be required to get leave from the employer to meet minimum residential requirement of one year to complete coursework. There should be adequate research facilities and a co-supervisor with Ph. D degree in the relevant area of research should be available at their work place.
(e) Faculty/Staff/Sponsored Project Fellow of N.I.T. Jamshedpur (Part Time):
Regular faculty members, regular staff members and sponsored project fellows of N.I.T. Jamshedpur are eligible for admission to Ph. D program in concerned Departments.
Qualification for Eligibility
(a) Ph. D in Engineering:
Master Degree in relevant branch of Engineering/Technology with minimum 60% marks or equivalent CPI 6.5
Bachelor’s degree in relevant branch of Engineering/Technology with minimum 75% marks or equivalent CPI 8.0
(b) Ph. D in Sciences, Computer Applications, Humanities, Social Sciences and Management
Master’s Degree in the relevant subject with a minimum 60% marks or equivalent CPI 6.5
Bachelor’s degree in relevant branch of Engineering with minimum 75% marks or equivalent CPI 8.0
The selection procedure for admission to Ph.D. Programme is based on consistently good academic record, written test and interview performance. Reservations for SC/ST/OBC/ PWD/ EWS are applicable as per GOI norms.
How to Apply
The online application form and the information brochure for admission to Ph.D. programme are available on Institute website: www.nitjsr.ac.in.Registration fee Rs. 1,000/- for OPEN/OBC/ EWS candidates and Rs. 500/- in the case of SC/ST/PWD candidates.
- The candidates who are employed and wish to do Ph.D. must submit SPONSORSHIP/ NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE from the employer at the time of admission, without which admission will not be possible.
- Check the following documents are attached to the application form:
- Proof of Payment
- Self-attested copy of SSC in support of Date of Birth
- Self-attested copy of intermediate /(10+2) Certificate
- Self-attested copies of Degree certificates and Mark sheets of all the qualifying examinations
- Self-attested copy of the caste certificate (in case of SC/ST candidates)
- For OBC candidates, self-attested copy of OBC certificate issued after 31/03/2019 only as per the format given in the Annexure-I is accepted
- List of publications (if any)
- Self-attested copy of EWS certificate issued after 31/03/2019 by the competent authority.
|Advertisement in the Newspapers and Institute website||22/04/2019 (Monday)|
|Last date for receipt of application forms||03/06/2019 (Monday)|
|Intimation regarding interview call to be posted / uploaded on institute website||17/06/2019 ( Monday)|
|Date of written test and interview at NIT Jamshedpur||01/07/2019 (Monday)|
|Date of announcement of results||03/07/2019 (Wednesday)|
|Date of admission||15 -16 July, 2019|
(Monday & Tuesday)
Note: Students may require to stay one more day if interview is not completed on 01/07/2019.
How to apply
- Click here for the online application portal.
- Candidates should specify broad areas of research in the application form.
- All candidates seeking admission to Ph. D. programme are required to fill and upload their application form (online) along with all required documents before 03/06/2019.
- Institute reserves the right to reject the applications for which faculty is not available/not eligible for guidance
- Incomplete application forms and uploaded after the last date will be rejected.
- Canvassing in any form will disqualify the candidates.
- List of short-listed candidates for the interview will be uploaded on Institute website only.
- The candidates are required to visit our website for fee structure/faculty expertise etc. and also advised to visit our website regularly for updated information about the admission to Ph.D. programme for the Autumn Semester 2019-20.
- No separate interview letter / communication will be sent to any individual
- All candidates selected for admission shall be required to deposit the Institute fee at the time of admission
Dean (Academic), National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur
Jamshedpur – 831 014, Jharkhand (India)
Telephone: 0657-2372412, 23724245.
Click here for the notification.