The National Institute of Genetics (NIG) was established by the Ministry of Education in 1949 for integrated and applied study of theory and basic research in genetics, as well as its instruction and promotion. Its history has overlapped with the explosive development of life science, and we have produced many outstanding scientific achievements including the neutral theory of molecular evolution, the discovery of the mRNA capping mechanism, and the identification of DNA replication origins, among others.
About the Program
National Institute of Genetics (NIG)/ Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI offers a research internship program for undergraduate and postgraduate students who wish to gain research experience in genetics and related fields in life sciences. Intern students will conduct independent research under the mentorship of a host investigator at NIG.
Our program includes training on scientific research, scientific communication, and lab visits to discuss with individual principal investigators. At the end of the program, participants will give a presentation on their experience as the “NIGINTERN Reports Symposium”. NIG will issue a certificate to those who have successfully completed the program. Interns can also participate in various activities such as graduate program lectures, journal clubs, and seminars by outstanding researchers from inside and outside of NIG. Japanese language classes are also available.
June 17 – July 28 , 2021
- NIG covers expenses for the designated period only. Requests for shorter or longer periods will not be considered.
- For any internship opportunity other than this program, please contact your potential host PI(s). In such cases, costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
- There may be some changes due to the Olympic Games held in Japan.
Who can Apply?
- Applicants must be interested in life sciences and be in the prefinal-year at the time of application, i.e. in the 3rd year of a 4-year bachelor program, in the 2nd year of a 3-year bachelor program, in the 4th year of a 5-year program, in the 1st year of a 2-year master program, or in the 5th year of a 6-year program.
- Students who are interested in enrolling in our PhD program at NIG are encouraged to apply.
NIG will cover costs of airfare, local transportation fares between airport in Japan and NIG, lodging in the institute’s guesthouse, and travel insurance during the program. Allowance for meals (ca. 1,500JPY/day, subject to change) will also be provided.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the program through this link.
January 7, 2021
For more details, click the link below.