The National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases (NICED), a premier institute of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), is located in close proximity to the Infectious Diseases and Beliaghata General Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal.
In addition to the regular training imparted to the Post Graduate students and Ph.D. scholars, currently we intend to conduct a three-day-workshop on ‘Research Methodology and Biostatistics’ during 18th-20thJuly, 2017 at ICMR-NICED.
The objective of this workshop is to enhance the capacity of future generation of biomedical/life science researchers and to enable them to design and carry out their own research.
- Introduction to research
- Framing research question and developing hypothesis
- Type of study designs (observational and interventional)
- Qualitative and quantitative research
- Descriptive statistics
- Sampling methods and sample size determination
- How to choose appropriate study design and variables to be studied
- Development of study tools and their limitations
- Developing database and data management
- Critical appraisal of published article
- Inferential statistics (estimation, hypothesis testing, parametric & non-parametric tests of statistical significance, confidence interval and p-value)
- Diagnostic test evaluation
- Protocol writing
- Good clinical practice and ethics in biomedical research
- Reference management
- Scientific paper writing
- Hands on training with Epi-Info software for basic statistical analysis
Eligibility criteria: Any aspiring researcher from the field of biomedical/lifesciences
Maximum number of candidates to be enrolled: 25
Course fee: Rs. 1800/- (one thousand eight hundred only)
Register yourself by emailing your brief bio-data specifying present affiliation, city, contact details (e-mail ID, mobile no.) to firstname.lastname@example.org and send the hard copy of the same along with course fee Rs. l,800 as Demand Draft/Pay order (Drawn in favour of “Director, NICED”, payable at Kolkata) by speed post or courier the contact person. Kindly attach the scanned copy of the demand draft.
Your enrollment will be confirmed through e-mail only after receiving the demand draft/pay order. Enrollment is on first come first served basis.
Last date of enrollment: 15th June, 2017
Accommodation for participants coming from outside Kolkata will be arranged on request at NICED-guest house against a charge of Rs. 200 per night per person for shared occupancy.
Single occupancy will cost Rs. 400/-per night per room.
Dr. Pranab Chatterjee, Scientist-B
For more details, find the conference brochure at this link.