The National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore invites applications for an Online Workshop on Algorithms in the Indic Tradition from June 4 to 6 and June 10 to 13, 2021.
National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore is a premier institute in India engaged in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research in natural sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities. It was founded by J.R.D. Tata for providing an avenue for administrators, managers, and social leaders for interaction and exchange of information with notable academics in the areas of science, arts, and humanities.
The workshop is the first of its kind and will focus on making ancient Indic algorithms and methods available to modern computer science, data science, and mathematics students.
The objective is to gain hands-on experience, skills, and tools related to age-old methods of computation, which have found new uses and applications in the world of computer science.
- The topics to be covered include cryptography, combinatorics, linguistics, and kolam geometry. The pedagogy for the workshop will be a mixture of lectures and ‘learning by doing.
- The methodology of the workshop will be lectures followed by tutorials and assignments. Student presentations will be encouraged.
- The focus is both on theoretical understanding and on imparting practical skills. Actual problems shall be solved using the algorithms and comparison with other extant modern algorithms shall be undertaken by students.
- The workshop will be conducted by a combination of eminent academics and young scholars and enthusiasts.
- The participation of younger instructors is a deliberate strategy to widen the dissemination of these methods and engage the attention of students more effectively.
- Senior academic faculty shall be present to answer broader questions and provide guidance to participants.
Who can Attend?
The program seeks to attract young and aspiring scholars towards a deeper engagement with algorithms in the
Indic tradition. Students at all levels of college/ university education anywhere in India or abroad may apply. Students with a background and interest in Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science, and Computational Methods are encouraged to apply, although others will also be considered.
Skill in computer programming will be an advantage.
There is no fee for participation, as the workshop is sponsored by SERB/ DST, Government of India under SERB Karyashala.
Interested candidates may write to the organizers at math.heritage@nias. res.in with the following information:
- Full Name:
- Date of birth:
- Mailing Address:
- Academic institution and course studying:
- Areas of interest (not more than 3 topics):
- Reasons for applying to this workshop (in under 100 words):
- Students must confirm a. ability to attend all the online sessions as per the schedule and b. willingness to complete the assigned work to the best of her/ his ability.
Selection will be on the basis of background and aptitude as determined by the organizers, from the information provided in the application. Selected participants shall be informed by email and the detailed program schedule shall be shared with them.
Certificates shall be issued to participants based on attendance and completion of the required number of assignments. Merit certificate may be issued to outstanding students who demonstrate skill and depth in their work and such students may be invited to pursue internships in this area at NIAS.
For full notification, click the link below.