Applications are invited for the NCPEDP – Javed Abidi Fellowship on Disability 2021.
About the Fellowship
NCPEDP – Javed Abidi Fellowship on Disability, supported by Azim Premji Foundation is a three-year immersive leadership development programme for youth with disabilities looking to build a career in the development sector particularly Disability Rights and Inclusion, and with a focus on policy and practice.
The fellowship programme seeks to give an opportunity to youth with disabilities to delve into and voice issues faced by persons with disabilities at the grassroots with the support of local civil society organizations across India.
No. of Fellowship
A total of 25 fellows will be selected for Year 1 of the fellowship programme.
Through this initiative, we envision to develop a second line of leadership for the Indian disability movement with in-depth grassroot knowledge and hands-on experience of urban and rural realities in matters of data driven and evidence-based policy analysis.
At the end of the three-year fellowship, the programme may further seek to give a ground breaking opportunity to a selected few to ideate, iterate and intervene directly with stakeholders resonating further the ethos of disability movement in an entrepreneurial environment by way of seed funding.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work with NCPEDP’s State Partners and shadowing experience with State disability leaders to get an in-depth experience on policy level issues and challenges at the grassroots level.
- Essential knowledge based support in form of training and capacity building workshops on rights-based mechanisms and disability rights, guidance and exposure to policy advocacy strategies at both Centre and State levels, mentorship under field experts and a competitive stipend of upto Rs. 25,000 to meet necessary needs during the fellowship programme. (provisional expenses)
- Platform to interact and network with pan-India disability leaders, activists, experts and professionals in the sector and gain from their experiences the necessary skills to become leaders of tomorrow.
- Opportunity to work on a preferred disability theme/area of choice and develop an action plan for policy and behavioural change, create and implement a specific advocacy campaign strategy on a critical issue, develop an informal cross-disability network, and become a trainer on disability rights awareness.
- Opportunity for selected few to pitch and seek support for seed funding, pursuant to successful completion of the 3-year fellowship with stellar performance.
- Applicants must be an Indian citizen between the age group of 18-28 years.
- Applicants should have completed a minimum secondary level of education.
- Preference will be given to youth with disabilities. However, exceptional youth without disabilities with prior (academic/work/volunteer) experience in the disability sector will also be considered.
- Fundamental knowledge of disability issues and other cross-cutting development issues in India is essential.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English or Hindi or any one of the regional languages is essential.
- Basic research and analysis skills, and experience in writing will be considered an asset.
- Prior experience of working/volunteering in the development sector particularly in the disability sector will be an added advantage.
- Young women with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
The fellowship programme involves three years of dedicated commitment.
The screening process will consist of a careful selection of applicants based on the application form and a personal round of interviews. The fellows will continue in the programme for consecutive years based on a year-end review under the guidance of mentors and partnering organizations.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
August 11, 2021
Click here to view the official notification for the NCPEDP – Javed Abidi Fellowship on Disability 2021.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: