NBHM Scholarship for M.Sc/M.A Mathematics Students [Exam on Oct 19]: Register by Aug 25
Only candidates belonging to one of the following categories are eligible (even to appear for the written test):
- Students who have either completed or expect to complete by end of July 2019 all requirements for a recognized B.A. / B.Sc. degree in mathematics, with cumulative marks 60% or more (or equivalent).
- Students who have either completed or expect to complete by end of July 2019 all requirements for a recognized B.A.(Hons.) / B.Sc.(Hons.) degree in mathematics, with
cumulative marks 50% or more (or equivalent).
- Students who have either completed or expect to complete by end of July 2019 three or
four years of a recognized five-year integrated masters programme in mathematics, with
cumulative marks 60% or more (or equivalent).
- Students who have either completed or expect to complete by end of July 2019 one year of a recognized two year programme leading to a M.A. / M.Sc. degree in Mathematics are eligible to apply, provided that both the following conditions are satisfied:
- the cumulative marks in the first year of the programme is 60% or more (or equivalent).
- the cumulative marks in the undergraduate degree pre-requisite to the masters programme is 60% or more (or equivalent); the cumulative marks need only be 50% or more (or equivalent) if the undergraduate degree is an Honours programme.
Successful candidates will receive a scholarship of Rs. 6,000/- (Rupees six thousand only) per month, during the two year period of the post-graduate programme (or the final two years of the five-year integrated master’s program).
The scholarships are sanctioned for one year at a time and are renewable at the end of the year, subject to satisfactory progress. Students selected for the award of the scholarship when in the final year of the M.A. / M.Sc. or five-year integrated masters program will receive their scholarship for only one year.
To avail of the scholarship, a student must be enrolled in a recognized post-graduate (including integrated five-year masters) programme in mathematics in India. The scholarship will be disbursed through the student’s institution.
Selection will be on the basis of a written test followed by an interview. Candidates will be
short-listed for the interview based on the performance in the written test.
The written test is scheduled for Saturday, 19th October 2019.
Its duration will be 150 (one hundred and fifty) minutes. It will involve questions requiring short answers (including multiple-choice, possibly with negative marking as indicated), primarily in the areas of analysis and algebra, but also in other areas of mathematics covered in undergraduate mathematics programmes.
Question papers from previous years along with the keys are available at this page.
The written test will be conducted at the following centres (divided into zones as indicated):
- Zone 1: Chandigarh, New Delhi, Srinagar.
- Zone 2: Indore, Jabalpur, Prayagraj, Raipur.
- Zone 3: Goa, Mumbai, Pune, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- Zone 4: Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, Shillong.
- Zone 5: Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad.
The interview will be conducted in only one centre (to be announced later) in each zone. The date(s) of the interview will also be announced later and may vary with the zone. Candidates must make their own arrangements for travel and stay for the written exam.
How to apply
Applications to appear for the written test will be accepted at this page.
An application fee of Rs. 300 (along with applicable collection charges) needs to be paid online at the time of the application.
The online application process will open around 24th July and close on 25th August. Eligible candidates will be able to download admission tickets (to the written test) from 06th
Important Dates (all in 2019)
Online application process scheduled to open: July 24
Last date for online application: August 25
Download of admission tickets starts: September 06
Date of written test: October 19 (Sat)
For issues with the online application process, an email may be sent (after sufficient circumspection) to email@example.com.
For full details, view the official notification given here.
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)