Nayi Dishayein: Summer Schools on Rethinking Development @ Sambhaavnaa Institute, Palampur [May-July]: Registrations Open
About the organiser
Sambhaavnaa Institute has been organizing political, economic, social and environmental justice program for past six years for social workers. Sambhaavnaa Institute is located in a village near by Palampur, Himachal Pradesh and the training venue and logistic arrangements are made in its premises.
About the Summer School
Sambhaavnaa Institute has for the last seven years been organising a participatory, reflective and perspective-building program on ‘Rethinking Development’ called Nayi Dishayein.
In this program we work with young participants to:
- Deconstruct, i.e. critically examine, the notion of development. We shall converse with a plethora of narratives and discourses surrounding this notion, and the ways in which they are constructed.
- Examine the root causes of growing inequity in distribution of wealth and resources, and its impacts on nature and people, in a society fractured along the lines of gender, caste, race, class, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, and language.
- To stretch our imaginations, and re-examine and challenge our beliefs, views, convictions, and privileges resulting from the enduring power structures that stem from the social markers of caste, gender, religion, and class; and how they are linked with the notion(s) of development.
- Examine how the State and its institutions of policy-making and governance influence these power structures and vice versa.
- Assess possibilities of transformation through people’s actions, through an exposure to, and dialogue on, a range of initiatives/movements towards a more just society.
The themes of the program are explored using interactive lectures, group work and group discussions, cinema, theatre of the oppressed, songs of resistance, fieldwork, self-reflections, and importantly, sharing of lived experiences by activists.
Who is it for
It is for the people in the age group of 21-26 years who are:
- Seeking answers to the above questions.
- Figuring out how to frame the questions.
- Trying to understand the interconnections between different problems.
The Summer Schools will be organised at:
The online registration form for the Summer Schools is available on this page.
This call for applications is for two distinct programs:
- Program 1: 6-week program (Campus + Field Internship): 21 May-4 July, 2019
- Program 2: 12-day program (Campus only), 17-28 June, 2019
- Program 1: Rs. 6,000
- Program 2: Rs. 7,500
- Phone: 8894227954
- E-mail: email@example.com
For further information about the Summer Schools, visit the official website.
About the Author