The Yoga Olympiad will be organized by the National Council of Educational Research & Training (NCERT) from 18th June 2020 at New Delhi for the national level. The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) through NCERT has taken this initiative to promote Yoga in curriculum and transaction in schools.
Ministry of Human Resource Development to take such initiatives more intensively conceptualized ‘Yoga Olympiad’ as a venture with the objective to promote the awareness of yoga and to build up a network of yoga students, teachers and Yoga practitioners at the national level to spread the message of yoga as a science of holistic living.
- To develop emotional and mental health through yogic activities.
- To develop harmony understanding of yogic practices and apply this understanding accordingly in one’s life and living.
- To develop a healthy habit and lifestyle in children.
- To develop humane values in children.
- To develop physical, with nature and universe.
Yoga Practices to be Covered in Olympiad
The Following dimensions of Yoga are embedded in ‘Yoga Olympiad’:
- Shatkarma/Kriya (Cleansing Process)
- Dhyana (Meditation) (Not for evaluation)
- Bandha and Mudra (Only for Secondary level)
All government, government-aided schools are eligible to participate. Following organizations will also conduct yoga Olympiad at their organization Level and send teams (four boys and four girls) at the Upper Primary Level and four boys and four girls at the Secondary Level to National level.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti
- Central Board of Secondary Education (Excluding KVS & NVS).
- Council For The Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).
- Upper Primary Stage: Upper Primary Stage comprises students from Class 6th to Class 8th will participate as on 1st April 2020.
- Secondary Stage: Secondary Stage comprises students from Class 9th to Class 10th.
Yoga Olympiad will be conducted for both Girls and Boys separately (Separate teams of Girls and Boys for Upper Primary and Secondary stages).
Levels of Organization
The organization of Yoga Olympiad from School to State/UT and organization levels of will be of the responsibility of respective State/UT and organizations
- Block Level: Four winning girls and Four winning boys at the upper primary and similar number at the secondary will participate at the district level and Next Level.
- District level: This is the Second level of Yoga Olympiad where only the Block level winners will participate/ send their entries.
- State/ UT level: This is the Third level of Yoga Olympiad where only selected winners from the district level will participate.
- National Level: States and Union Territories shall select the best teams for participating at the national level. At this stage, best 4 girls and best 4 boys of Upper Primary and best 4 girls and best 4 boys of secondary will participate. In all 16 students from each State/UT, CBSE, KVS, and NVS will participate in this Olympiad.
All Block/ School and District Level winners will receive a merit certificate for the first, second and third positions. All-State/ UT Level winners will receive a merit certificate with momento for the first, second and third positions. All National Level winners will receive Gold, Silver, and Bronze (Plated) medals with certificates for the first, second and third positions. All participants will be given a participation certificate.
- Block/ School Level: to be completed by 20 April 2020
- District level: to be completed by 30 April 2020
- State/ UT level: to be completed by 5th May 2020
- National level: 18-20 June 2020 at New Delhi