About the organisation
The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment is the nodal department for the overall policy, planning and coordination of programmes for the development of the Scheduled Castes, Socially and Educationally Backward Classes, Denotified Tribes, Economically Backward Classes, and the welfare of the Senior Citizens.
About the scholarship
The Scholarship covers cost of fees, etc. and other educational expenses including maintenance, contingency allowance, and travel expenses, etc. for various courses in the specified field of study at Masters and PhD level only.
100 awards are available under the Scheme and 30% of the awards for each year shall be earmarked for women candidates.
Which stream of education
The Scheme provides financial assistance to the selected candidates for pursuing Master level courses and PhD abroad in the accredited Institutions/University by an authorized body of that country, under the Scheme in following specified fields of study:
• Engineering and Management: 32 seats
• Pure Sciences & Applied Sciences: 17 seats
• Agricultural Sciences and Medicine: 17 seats
• Commerce, Accounting & Finance: 17 seats
• Humanities & Social Science: 17 seats
• For PhD: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Masters’ Degree
• For Masters’ Degree: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelors’ Degree
• Age: Below 35 years (as on 1st April of the selection year)
• Income Ceiling: Total family income from all sources shall not exceed Rs. 6,00,000 p.a.
Amount of scholarship
• For USA and other Countries except UK: US Dollars 15400/-
• Only for United Kingdom: Great Britain Pound 9900/-
Duration of Award
The prescribed financial assistance is provided up to completion of the course/research or the following period, whichever is earlier:
• PhD : 4 years
• Master Degree: 3 years
How to apply
The application forms are available online.
Duly filled application forms attached with the requisite documents should be sent at the following address to the Ministry:
Shri Deepak Mehra
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment
Room No.636 – ‘A’ Wing, Shastri Bhavan,
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Marg, New Delhi-110 001.
Applications received up to 31st March of the financial year (2018-19) will be considered for grant of award/assurance of award for the Selection Year 2018-19.
Shri Deepak Mehra, Director, National Overseas Scholarship Schemes for SC Students