Entries are invited from eligible candidates for the National HPC Hackathon by Intel & AWS.
About National HPC Hackathon
In alignment with India’s mission to enhance the capacity and capability for research in India, Intel and AWS, in association with the office of the Principal Scientific Advisor (PSA), invite research teams to participate in the National HPC Hackathon to port their existing solutions and optimize in cloud.
Participating teams will be provided with AWS infrastructure on Intel for building pipelines for solutions in the field of life sciences. They will compete to execute these pipelines to showcase faster, parallel, high throughput and optimized use of compute. Exciting prizes await the winners.
- National HPC Hackathon is focused on the field of life sciences. Participants can choose the projects from life sciences.
- The Hackathon is open to all research institutes and scientists/post-doc candidates associated with a research institute in India.
- This is a team participation Hackathon. There should be minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 members in the team. Team members can be from multiple institutes. One person can be part of one team only.
- The Hackathon has two phases – an idea qualification phase and the actual Hackathon itself (aka Hack phase where AWS resources will be provided for 7 days).
- The Idea phase is a qualification phase to the actual Hackathon where ideas will be solicited, and submissions will be shortlisted on certain selection criteria.
- It’s an online Hackathon, you can participate from anywhere.
- The intellectual property of your solution belongs only to your team.
Life sciences field is vast and covers a plethora of opportunities. An indicative list of a few life sciences research areas below (not exhaustive):
- Chemistry: Bio-chemistry & molecular modelling
- Bio-engineering: Agricultural engineering
- Genomics: Complex disease genomics, agri-genomics, oncology & microbial genomics
- Biology: Molecular biology
- Pharmacology: Drug discovery, pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamic modelling
The winning team will receive prizes worth USD 30K and 2-year access to exclusive Intel software support.
- Successful submissions (qualified) will compete based on a report generated, there will be certain prescribed sections of the report such as describing how the same workload was run with Intel on AWS, a comparison on the key metrics vs on-premise, optimizations done to better performance with Intel on AWS.
- Judging is both qualitative and quantitative. For example, difficulty of the optimization carried out, magnitude of performance increase, with a point system attached to each criterion.
- Points will be awarded on the following format:
- Porting of application with Intel on AWS: The application/workflow needs to run end-to-end on AWS HPC Stack, *without at least a partial port, candidates cannot advance.
- Usage of Intel compilers and libraries: Participants are able to demonstrate they have used Intel compilers and libraries to compile the applications and tools used in the workflow.
- Workflow performance optimization: Optimize the workflow get a lower end to end workflow completion time compared to baseline using the same datasets and input parameters
- Performance on specific tools of the workflow: Optimize specific tools used in the workflow, optimizations can only be based on using Intel compilers or performance libraries, no code changes allowed unless the code change is novel and taking advantage of the cloud solution or Intel® architecture.
- Cost optimization: Optimize the application/workflow to reduce costs compared to baseline run costs.
- Additional information on the report, such as importance of running the workflows faster, will be a plus.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the hackathon through this link.
Nov 25, 2021