Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students by Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
About National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students
The erstwhile two Central Sector Schemes namely Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) for ST students and Top Class Education for ST Students earlier implemented by this Ministry to provide financial assistance for pursuing higher education of ST students were merged into a single Central Sector Scheme called “National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students”.
Under this merged scheme, Fellowships are provided to ST students to take up higher studies after completing Post Graduation, such as M.Phil and Ph.D courses, Fellowship is awarded on the lines of UGC Fellowships for research students pursuing such courses on regular and full time basis.
Similarly, Scholarships is provided to ST Students to encourage meritorious ST students to pursue courses at Graduate/Post Graduate level in identified Institutions of excellence, Government and Private, in professional fields such as Management, Medicine, Engineering, Information Technology, Law etc.
Fellowship component of the merged scheme came into force from the year 2014-15 and Scholarship component from the year 2015-16. However, the scholars/students already covered under the scheme prior to these years were allowed to continue to be in the existing scheme till they complete their fellowships /studies.
Objectives of Scheme
Fellowship: The objective of the scheme is to encourage the ST students, a section of society with the lowest literacy levels in the country, to acquire higher education in the form of fellowships to pursue M. Phil and Ph. D. Courses, with a view to create qualified professionals to hold posts of teachers /professionals and other higher stages of employment.
Scholarship: ST Students is intended to encourage meritorious ST students to pursue courses at Graduate/Post Graduate level in identified Institutions of excellence, Government and Private, in professional fields such as Management, Medicine, Engineering, Information Technology, Law etc.
No. of Positions
- Slot for Fellowships: The total number of fresh fellowships each year, will be 750. In case of nonavailability of adequate number of Scheduled Tribe candidates, the number of fellowships not availed during a year will be carried forward to the next academic session. There is no State/University wise ceiling on number of slots.
- Slots for Scholarship: The total number of fresh Scholarship each year is 1000. There is no ceiling in Institution wise and stream wise number of slots for the Top-Class Institution.
The Fellowship/ Scholarship will be available only to the ST candidates who fulfill the following conditions for the award:
- The candidate belonging to ST should have passed the Post-Graduation examination for being eligible for the Fellowship. The candidate should get admission and registration for regular and full time M.Phil/Ph.D Courses in University / Academic Institutions recognized by UGC under Section 2 (f) of the UGC Act / ICAR by fulfilling conditions of admission of that University/Institution.
- The ST students once considered eligible for the Fellowship shall not be entitled for any other scholarship of the Centre or State Government the same study.
- The fellowship shall be payable once the student has secured admission and started the research work.
- In order to qualify for Senior Research Fellowship a candidate will have to fulfill the UGC/ICAR norms prescribed in this regard.
- ST students who have secured admission in the notified Institutions according to the norms prescribed by the respective Institutions will be eligible for the scholarship under the scheme.
- The student will be eligible to join only the list of Institution identified by Ministry.
- The total family income of the candidate to be eligible for this scholarship from all sources should not exceed Rs.6.0 lakh per annum.
- The scholarship shall be payable once the student has secured admission and started attending the classes.
- The scholarship awarded, will continue till the completion of the course, subject to satisfactory performance of the student.
- Fellowship: It is a Central Sector Scheme and Ministry of Tribal Affairs will provide 100% funding for the scheme. The funds will be released by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs on quarterly basis for Fellowship.
- Scholarship: It is a Central Sector Scheme and Ministry of Tribal Affairs will provide 100% funding for the scheme and fund will be released in a single installment for Scholarship immediately after the registration/admission.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the scholarship and fellowship through this link.
November 30, 2021