National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) is a compulsory test for students seeking admission to National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai – Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai. Both NISER and UM-DAE CEBS were set up by Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India in 2007.
Their mandate is to train scientific manpower for carrying out cutting edge scientific research and for providing input to scientific programmes of Department of Atomic Energy and other applied science institutions in the country.
Candidates must qualify all four eligibility criteria listed below:
- Candidates in the Unreserved and OBC categories must have been born on or after August 01, 2001. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC/ ST/ Divyangjan candidates.
- Class XII qualifying examination must have passed in either 2019 or 2020. Candidates appearing in 2021 are also eligible. (Where only Letter Grade is given by the Board, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks will be required. In the absence of such a certificate the decision of the respective Admission Committees will be final.)
- At least 60% marks in aggregate (or equivalent grade) in Class XII examination from any recognized Board in India. For Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) candidates and for Divyangjan candidates, the minimum requirement is 55%.
- Candidate should secure a position in the NEST merit list.
- Registration / Online application opens 24th of February 2021.
- Online application closes 30th of April 2021.
- Download of admit card starts: 20th of May 2021.
- Date of examination:
- Announcement of results on NEST website: 30th of June 2021.
Interested candidates can apply online from 24 Feb 2021.
NISER offers a 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences. NISER functions from its campus at Jatni. Degrees at NISER will be awarded by the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), a deemed-to-be University within the Department of Atomic Energy.
There are a total of 200 seats for 2021 batch, which include reserved seats for SC/ST/OBC/Divyangjan candidates as per Government norms. 2 supernumerary seats are reserved for eligible candidates from J&K. If offered admission under the OBC-NCL category, the candidate must produce the relevant valid certificate on the date of admission.
About UM-DAE CEBS
The Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, has an autonomous Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences in Mumbai. CEBS offers high quality teaching embedded in a vibrant post-graduate and research environment with some of the best teachers and scientists from major institutions in the city (TIFR, BARC, IIT) and the University of Mumbai and its colleges, on its faculty.
The Centre is located in the Vidyanagari campus of the University of Mumbai. CEBS offers a 5 year integrated M.Sc. programme in Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical sciences. The degrees at CEBS are awarded by the 150-year old University of Mumbai. Tentatively, there are 57 seats this year with reservations as per government norms.