Mslexia Women’s Poetry Competition, Prizes worth Rs. 2 Lakh: Submit by June 19
With springtime comes the launch of our annual Women’s Poetry Competition! The competition is open to women of any nationality from any country, and welcomes poems of in any style, of any length, on any subject.
Each £7 entry fee allows you to submit three poems. If you would like to enter more than three poems, please select the correct number of entries below.
- Poems may be in any style, of any length, on any subject. Sequences of differently-titled poems must be entered as separate poems. A poem that is structured in several parts may be entered as one poem.
- Type each poem, single spaced, on A4 pages, single sided. If a poem is longer than one page, please number the pages. Type the title on the same sheet as the poem.
- Your poems will be judged anonymously, so do not write your name on the same sheet as your poems. Use a separate cover page with your name, address, telephone number and email address, plus a list of the title/s of the poem/s you are submitting.
- No alterations may be made to a poem once it has been submitted.
- You may enter any number of poems, but may only win one prize. This is to allow the maximum number of entrants to receive recognition.
- Your poems will not be returned, so do keep a copy. For confirmation that we have received a postal entry, please enclose an SAE labeled ‘Acknowledgement’. We do not send copies of the results to entrants.
- Winners will be contacted by post in August 2017 and winning poems will be published in the Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 issue of Mslexia.
- Copyright of each poem remains with the author, but Mslexia has the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems in its magazine and on its website, plus unrestricted rights to use the winning poems and any related material for PR purposes.
- Poems should be in English (or English dialect) and should not have been published or accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other poetry competitions are not eligible.
- Poems should not be a translation of another author’s work.
- We will accept poems from women of any nationality from any country.
- You do not have to subscribe to Mslexia to be eligible, but you do have to be a woman.
- Employees of Mslexia are not eligible.
- To be considered for the £500 prize for an unpublished woman poet, please mark your cover page with a large ‘U’ at the top above your name and contact information. This must be done before submitting your work.
- Unpublished poets will be judged alongside published poets for the other prizes in the competition. The £500 is a separate prize amount, which will be added to any other prize the unpublished poet might win.
- By ‘unpublished’ we mean women who have never had a poem chosen for publication, in print or online, by an independent selective editorial process. For a more detailed explanation, visit this.
How to Enter
- Send your poems by post or enter online here.
- If entering by post, mark your envelope ‘Women’s Poetry Competition’ and send it postmarked no later than 19 June 2017 to Freepost Plus RTKZ-LGXC-EBAH, Mslexia Publications Ltd, PO Box 656, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 1PZ. We regret FREEPOST is not available for entries from overseas. The entry fee of £7 allows you to enter up to three poems. You may enter as many times as you like, provided each set of poems is accompanied by the £7 entry fee.
- Entry fees must be in pounds sterling. If you want to use a different currency, please pay online via PayPal, which will convert your fee automatically into pounds sterling.
- You can pay by cheque (payable to Mslexia Publications Ltd) or by debit or credit card (phone +44 (0)191 204 8860 with your details). You can also pay online via our website, but in this case you must include with your poems a note of the date on which you paid, and the email address you used, so that we can trace your payment.
- If entering online, be sure to follow the instructions on the website carefully. Poems should be sent as a single attachment, with each poem starting on a new page.
- 1st prize: £2,000 plus two optional extras: a week’s writing retreat at the beautiful Cove Park, in Argyll and Bute, plus a one-to-one mentoring session with Seren Poetry Editor, Amy Wack.
- 2nd prize: £400
- 3rd prize: £200
- The top three prizes, 17 runners up will receive £25, plus every prize winner is published in Mslexia Magazine.
- Acceptance of any element of the prize is optional. If the winner is unable to attend the retreat or mentoring, these will be offered to other winners.
- The writing retreat is at Cove Park, Scotland’s International Artist Residency Centre, at a time to be agreed between Cove Park and the competition winner, between Oct 2017 and May 2018. The retreat is accommodation only.
- The mentoring is an afternoon with Amy Wack, Poetry Editor at Seren, on a date to be agreed between Amy Wack and the competition winner, before 31 December 2018.
- The winner is responsible for any other expenses involved in attending the Cove Park retreat and the mentoring afternoon.
Contact Mslexia at PO Box 656, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 1PZ
tel: +44 (0)191 204 8860 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the competition and FAQs, click here.
About the Author