The Moving Upstream: Betwa program is a new addition to our Moving Upstream project series. This open call is for applicants interested in tracing on foot a certain section of the Betwa River, documenting various facets according to the brief given to them.
The first phase will cover the stretch from the source near Hoshangabad upto Orchha. This activity can be undertaken by an individual or more (2 at maximum), keeping in mind the limited resources available for the same.
Find more information about the Betwa River here.
- To create a comprehensive grassroots level documentation of people’s life and relationship along the river.
- To document the continuously evolving agricultural patterns.
- To document the changing dependency on the river – irrigation, fishing, river bed farming, sand, etc.
- To create evidence that can be used as benchmark – river health, agriculture, fisheries.
What does this involve?
- Undertaking thorough basin related study before the walk.
- One month commitment – between November & December 2018 – to walk along the Betwa river.
- Interview people living along the river.
- Documentation (images, videos, notes).
- Expenses will be taken care of – return train tickets and on field expenditure.
- We will establish local contact at as many points as possible along the route.
- A small honorarium to be awarded at the end of the field work and after sharing the documentation.
- Veditum will have freedom to use the material for open archives, creative work & promotions.
- Creative content copyright will remain with the creator as well as the freedom to use it for personal promotion (with acknowledgement to the Moving Upstream project if/when used).
- Applicants should at least be 21 years of age and willing to take responsibility
- Should own a smartphone and be able to efficiently use different apps
- Able to interview (converse and understand) people in Hindi
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of documentation
- Willing to undertake uncertainties of journeys on foot
- Preferred: understanding or inclination to understand environmental and agricultural topics
How to apply
All interested candidates should:
- Create a short note on the Betwa river using information available online – upto 1000 words.
- Write a cover letter stating why this interests you and also mention your level of field research experience.
- Send the above to email@example.com latest by 15th October 2018, with subject line ‘Moving Upstream: Betwa’
If you have any more questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.