Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Mitacs Globalink Research Internships 2022.
About the Internship
The Globalink Research Internship is a highly competitive initiative that attracts talented researchers to Canada. Each year, interns from select Mitacs partner countries and regions come to Canada for 12 weeks from May to October to undertake research projects at Canadian universities.
The objective of Globalink Research Internship is to build a bridge between Canada and emerging international research talent.
What a Mitacs Globalink Research Internship offers you?
- A 12-week internship that increases your knowledge of and explores hands-on research in your field of study
- Work under the supervision of outstanding faculty members, with graduate students and research associates
- Access to Canada’s unique research landscape: applied, dynamic, and innovative
- A rewarding experience combining academic research at a Canadian university, professional skills development courses and social activities
- A chance for you to explore your independence and gain international experience in a new country
- The opportunity to connect with potential graduate supervisors should you be interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies with a Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship
Eligibility Requirements for 2022
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or combined undergraduate/master’s program at an eligible institution (see list of eligible institutions by country)
- Have one to three semesters remaining in their program as of Fall 2022
- Meet the grade requirements for their country of study (see GPA requirements for each international partner)
- Apply to a minimum of three and a maximum of seven projects and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
- Be fluent in the oral and written language of the project (English and/or French)
- Be available to complete an internship lasting 12 consecutive weeks between May 1 and October 31
Globalink Research Internships are open to students at universities in the following partner countries and regions:
- Hong Kong
- United Kingdom
- United States
Partners: All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), and Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI)
Eligible institutions in India: View list – no other institutions can be added
Eligible applicants: Indian citizens; full-time undergraduate students (or combined undergraduate/master’s program) with one to three semesters remaining in their program as of Fall 2022.
- AICTE: Engineering
- SICI: All
Minimum cumulative grade point average:
- AICTE: 80%
- SICI: 70%
Overview of GRI Cycle and Important Dates
|April to June 2021||Faculty application: Faculty submit research projects to Mitacs. Project proposals are due June 9, 2021 by 1 p.m. PT for 2022 Globalink Research Internships.|
|July to August 2021||Faculty application vetting: Projects are reviewed by Mitacs and decisions communicated to professors. All successful projects are made available to student applicants in an online database.|
|August to September 2021||Student application: International students submit applications and select research projects from the online database. Mitacs conducts an eligibility review of student applications in October.|
|November 2021 to January 2022||Matching: Mitacs provides professors with a shortlist of student candidates for their project. Professors are then asked to review student applications, conduct interviews and then rank the applicants in order of suitability. Mitacs collects student and professor rankings, then finalizes offers to students. Final results are announced in February.|
|February to April 2022||Pre-internship preparation: Successful students start working with their Canadian host professors to arrange pre-internship details (e.g., reading to be completed beforehand) while Mitacs oversees logistics and coordinates with university administrative offices.|
|May to October 2022||Internship: Globalink research interns arrive in Canada and work with supervising professors for 12 weeks on their research project.|
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the Mitacs Globalink Research Internship through this link.