Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Mitacs Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022 in Canada.
About Mitacs Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship
Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with an exclusive professional development curriculum component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- A two-year research project with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- A professional development curriculum that prepares Elevate fellows for success as leaders in research and industry
Fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the two-year fellowship, fellows divide their time between their partner organization’s project and academic institution-based research with their academic supervisor.
- They are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or international applicants
- They are based at an academic institution (including colleges or polytechnics) located in Canada for the duration of the fellowship
- Their date of graduation from a PhD program is less than five years to proposed start date of the Elevate project, unless:
- Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered exceptions and must be approved in advance of application
- If this situation applies to you or you have any questions, please contact Mitacs at elevate(at)mitacs.ca
- They have fulfilled all PhD degree requirements (e.g., successful defence, final deposit, and sign-off of the dissertation), meet the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria at their home academic institution, hold a postdoctoral fellow status for the entire duration of their Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- They can commit to the two-year Mitacs Elevate fellowship, including the exclusive professional development curriculum. Replacement or substitute fellows are not allowed
- Fellows who have held a Mitacs Accelerate award as a Master’s or PhD student are eligible as long as they have not completed more than one year (three internship units equivalent) of Mitacs Accelerate at postdoctoral level. This must be completed before the start of the Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
Fellows are ineligible if they have:
- Been employed for more than six months in an R&D position outside the academic institution after receipt of their doctoral degree
- Received an offer of employment from the proposed partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on the Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- Completed more than one year (three internship units equivalent) of Mitacs Accelerate at the postdoctoral level before the start of the Elevate fellowship; and
- Previously held a Mitacs Elevate award. Fellows who have completed Mitacs Elevate are also ineligible for Mitacs Accelerate
- If the application is not recommended for an award, fellows may not be eligible to apply again if they have accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner organization work. It is recommended that fellows accept a temporary contract only if necessary and that the period is kept as short as possible.
The Spring 2022 thematic call will accept applications addressing at least one of the key priority areas. Elevate fellows receive:
- a $70,000 minimum annual stipend/salary for projects addressing at least one of the following key priority sectors: agriculture and food, artificial intelligence, biomanufacturing, clean technology, entertainment and media, quantum science, or social innovation
- An exclusive professional development curriculum valued at $4,000 per year
- Proposal assistance, including application feedback, from Mitacs representatives
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
June 10, 2022