About the Scholarship
The Government of Flanders awards scholarships to outstanding students for Master programmes in Flanders and Brussels. The programme aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top study destination.
Applications will be accepted from all Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime Academy.
It is estimated that 30 international students can benefit from the Master Mind Scholarships 2019-2020. Students cannot apply directly. Applications need to be submitted by the Flemish host institution.
General Eligibility Criteria
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Host institution’).
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential:
- The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.0 out of 4.0:
- The student has a good knowledge of the English language:
- an overall band score of minimum 7.0 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test;
- a C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the Host institution).
- Students who apply for a Master programme at a School of Arts have at least:
- an overall band score of minimum 6.5 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 90 on the TOEFL test;
- a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official English language test (recognized by the Host
- The Host institution also performs an academic check of the student’s file. The student has to be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind Scholarships programme, this criterion applies.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders.
- Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply. The only exception is made for international students who, at the moment of their application in Spring 2019, are already enrolled in a preparatory programme in order to start a master programme in September 2019.
- Students who enroll for following programmes for the academic year 2019-2020 are not eligible for the Master Mind Scholarship: preparatory programmes;distance learning.
- Student mobility during the master programme is allowed. However, at least half of the credits of the master programme must be obtained at the Flemish Host institution.
- The duration of mobility is one academic year for a Master programme of 60 ECTS and two academic years for a master programme of 120 ECTS.
- The incoming student is awarded a maximum scholarship of €8.000 per academic year according to the modalities mentioned in the appendix Payment of the scholarship.
- The Host institution can ask the applicant for a tuition fee that equals the lowest rate of the yearly tuition fee for a student from who receives a study grant from the Flemish Government.
- The rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is €110,8. This rate may increase slightly from year to year. In case of two-year master programme (120 ECTS), the exact applicable rate for 2020-2021 will be communicated to the Master Mind beneficiaries before the 1st September 2020.
- In collaboration with the Flemish Ministry of Education, a Selection Committee will make the selection after the application deadline, based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the applicant’s motivation (30 points);
- The applicant’s previous study results in the Transcript of records (30 points);
- The reasons for recommending the applicant in Recommendation letter 1 (10 points);
- The reasons for recommending the applicant in Recommendation letter 2 (10 points);
- The motivation for submission by the Host institution (10 points);
- The top talent profile of the applicant (10 points).
Launch of the call: December 2018
Deadline for application at Host Institutions:
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven: 1st February 2019
- University of Antwerp: 15th February 2019
- Ghent University: 1st March 2019
- Hasselt University: 15th February 2019
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel: 15th March 2019
- Antwerp Maritime Academy: t.b.c.
- Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp: 1st March 2019
- Erasmus University College Brussels: t.b.c.
- Karel de Grote University College: 22nd March 2019
- LUCA School of Arts: 1st March 2019
- PXL University College: 1st March 2019
- University College Ghent: 22nd March 2019
Deadline for application
30th April 2019
Announcement of selection results
Start of mobility