Applications are now open for the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards 2020.
Created in 1998, the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards recognize and support eminent women in science throughout the world. Each year, five Laureates are recognized for their contributions to the advancement of science, in Life Sciences or Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science in alternating years.
The candidate must:
- Be recognized for her scientific excellence by the international scientific community,
- Be actively involved in scientific research,
- Work in any field of the Physical Sciences, Mathematics, or Computer Science.
- There is no age constraint regarding the candidate.
The 2021 edition of the Awards will designate five outstanding scientific researchers in the field of Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, working in the following regions:
- Africa & the Arab States
- Asia and the Pacific
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- North America
One candidate will be selected for each of the five regions, the determining factor being the place of work for at least 5 years, not the nationality of the candidate.
Each of the five Laureates will receive an award of €100,000. The Laureates notably commit to Participate in the Awards ceremony and all the related events (interviews, training, presentations, dinners, visits) organized in Paris in March 2021 around the “For Women in Science Week”. The Foundation L’Oréal will cover travel and accommodation expenses during the Laureates’ stay in Paris.
Scientists around the world are invited to nominate candidates for the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards. To be considered eligible for an award, it is necessary to be nominated in writing by an eminent scientist. Self-nominations are not eligible, nor nominations from immediate family members. Teams are not eligible for nomination. Qualified nominators may be:
- Heads of University or Scientific Institutions,
- Members of Academies of Science,
- Holders of Research Chairs,
- Full professors
- Past For Women in Science Award Laureates,
- or at minimum holders of a Ph.D. in Science.
To nominate a candidate, click here.
The last date to submit your nominations is May 31, 2020.
- Nominations closing date: May 31st, 2020
- Pre-selection by peer review: early June to early July 2020
- Examination by the Jury: mid-July to early-September 2020
- Jury deliberation meeting: mid-September 2020
- For Women in Science week: March 5th to 12th 2021
- For Women in Science Awards Ceremony: March 11th, 2021
For further details, click here.