About the Course
Every time we buy groceries or donate our salaries to Amazon after being enticed by all the ‘super saver sales’ and ‘up to 90% discounts’ or go to the dentist or consult a lawyer, we are governed by consumer laws.
As a lawyer or lawyer to be, this course helps you assert your rights, and prepare your defence (should you find yourself representing the falsely accused manufacturer/producer/trader/service provider) by helping you navigate through the Consumer Protection Act passed by the Parliament in 2019 which became effective in 2020.
As a consumer, now that it’s easier for you to fight for your rights with the advent of e-filing and virtual hearings, it becomes all the more important to know what they are and how to do that.
The latest amendments in the Consumer Laws governing the country operate on “Caveat Venditor” principle which shifts the onus onto the seller by incorporating e-commerce within the jurisdiction of the Consumer Fora, introducing punishment for misleading advertisement and the concept of product liability among other provisions.
This Course treads carefully to ensure a healthy balance between theory and practice as it allows the learner to apply the law to the facts by understanding not only the legal provisions but also the procedure followed by consumer courts across the country.
How will this course help you?
- You will get to understand and analyze the laws relating to consumer disputes and settlement in India.
- You will be able to understand the roles of various authorities in dealing with consumer disputes.
- The course will give you a practical understanding of the procedure governing consumer disputes starting with a complaint to the redressal of the grievance.
- You will also learn about the recent changes like e-commerce, product liability introduced by the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
The course has been designed to give you a foundational and smooth understanding of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 with the help of real-life illustrations. The course will equip you with the requisite skill-set to understand the procedure related to the practice of Consumer Laws in India and apply the law to the facts.
The course contains 5 modules:
- Course Overview
- Introduction to Consumer Protection Act, 2019
- Important Definitions in CPA, 2019
- Authorities under CPA, 2019
This Module will get you acquainted with the history and basics of Consumer Laws in India and give you an overview of the entire course.
- Different remedies available to Consumers
- Jurisdiction, Fees and the limitation period for filing a complaint
- Proper Nomenclature in Consumer Proceedings
This Module will help you learn about consumer rights and the various kinds of remedies that could be availed by consumers in case of a dispute as provided under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
- Drafting of a Complaint
- Procedure after Filing the Complaint
- Mediation (ADR)
- Types of orders that may be passed.
This Module will help you understand the manner in which a complaint is to be drafted and the procedure thereafter. You will also get to learn how to draft a reply and strategize the defence in a consumer dispute. It also talks about Mediation as recently introduced by the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
- Appellate, Review &Revision Proceedings
- Transfer Proceedings and Enforcement of Consumer Orders.
This Module will take you through the provisions relating to appeal, review and revision as provided under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019. You will also get to learn about the transfer of consumer cases and enforcement of consumer orders.
- E-Commerce (Download a free resource on this here)
- Product Liability
- Misleading Advertisements
This Module talks about the emerging concepts in the Consumer Laws in India and the way forward.
Self-Assessments: Each Module carries a set of 5 self-assessment questions helping you retain the most important take-aways.
There will be a set of super practical questions based on real-life situations and you will be required to answer them as lawyers/in case you are coming from a non-law background you will be required to answer the questions as consumers.
This course has been ideated and designed by Nidhi Saroj.
Nidhi Saroj: Nidhi is the Lead Researcher and writer of this course. She is currently pursuing her PhD from the Gujarat National Law University on the intersection of Criminal Justice and Juvenile Justice Laws. She holds an LL.M. degree in IP Law from the NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad batch of 2017.
She holds medals for the most amicable personality and for academic excellence in Constitutional Law. She has worked with the Institute of Law, Nirma University as an Assistant Professor for 1.5 years. Her areas of interest include Consumer Laws, Criminal Laws, Family Laws, Gender and Law, Juvenile Laws. She has several publications to her credit in National and International Journals.
Shreya Mehta: Shreya has work experience of about 5 years in the field as a litigator and in-house counsel. She started her career with civil litigation inclusive of consumer matters and dispute resolution.
Currently, she is handling Pan-India litigation at Zoomcar India along with managing contracts and policies.
Who is this course for?
- Undergraduate students of law.
- Anybody looking to make a career in Consumer Law Practice
- Young lawyers (in-house counsels, litigators and those working in law firms)
Duration: 4 weeks
Available Seats: 10
Course Fee: INR 2000 inclusive of GST
Mode of Learning
- Completely online and self-paced
- Recorded video lectures
- 3-4 live lectures for clearing of doubts, discussion on assignments, etc.
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- Online based forum to clarify doubts
- Compulsory assignment
- Self-assessment exercises
- Live and exclusive webinars on careers in legal research, CV-building, etc.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment on this post or email at email@example.com.
Check out Lawctopus Law School’s Webinar on The Consumer Protection Act, 2019 – Its implications on Consumers & Corporates here.
To register for the Consumer Law & Practice Course, click here.