The Humanities and Social Sciences Group at the Centre for Education, Innovation and Action Research (CEIAR), TISS invites participation from student-teachers of B.Ed. programs for a 5-day workshop on ‘Language for Literacy: Teaching English in India Today’.
Practices in teaching and learning languages are witnessing rapid changes today as an expanded understanding of literacy moves alongside studies in (second) language acquisition and learning. Our classrooms are also becoming increasingly multilingual and diverse in languages and competences of students.
At the same time, we cannot discount the importance of English, as a lingua franca and an international language of commerce, culture and media, in our everyday live. It is necessary to adapt classroom practices to address the changing nature and demands of Indian learners of English.
Themes and Concept
This workshop re-envisions English language teaching in India today and will introduce participants to contemporary practices in language learning. The topics covered will include:
- Perspectives on Literacy
- Language, Culture and Identity
- Communicative (English) Language Teaching
- Language through Literature and the Teaching of Literature (Prose, Poetry and Drama)
- Assessment and Evaluation in the Language Arts
Who can apply?
The workshop is currently open to student-teachers of B.Ed. programs.
- Apply by clicking on the Google form link and filling in the details requested.
- Please upload an extended CV with your application on the registration form, with details of your educational background, institutions graduated from, work experience, skills etc.
- Application fees is Rs. 1000 for all 5 days.
- Apply on or before: 15th December 2019.
For any queries, contact
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 07738470921 (between 10:00 am – 5:00 pm)