IISER Bhopal invites application for the position of Laboratory Assistant under STARS-MHRD project for the year 2021. The last date of application submission is 31 March 2021.
IISER Bhopal is looking for a laboratory assistant to help with processing of a large amount of sediment samples for pollen analysis and stable isotopes analysis. The project (ID: 651) is entitled “Subsistence and symbolism in prehistoric India: Understanding environmental contexts in relation to Homo sapiens dispersals and adaptations” and is funded under the STARS scheme by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi. The purpose of this labwork is to obtain data and results for Pleistocene environmental reconstructions at various locations in northern India.
The work of the lab assistant will include chemical processing of sediment samples and organizing and collating the data. All lab work will take place in Lucknow at the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeosciences (BSIP), under the guidance of Dr. Anjum Farooqi and Dr. Shailesh Agarwal, co-PIs in the project.
The daily tasks involve extensive work with chemical processing of sediments followed by microscopic analysis of the processed samples for pollen data. Some of the tasks may also involve basic computer work, data entry and directly working with experts and technicians on the concerned equipment.
- Be a citizen of India
- Preferably have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in any of the relevant hard sciences (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Botany, or comparable subjects)
- Have some basic experience in a scientific lab setting
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in Hindi (English also welcome)
- Be motivated, energetic and have the ability to maintain a positive attitude towards daily and extensive laboratory work
- Be able to start the work immediately if offered one of the position
- Estimated start date of the work: April 5, 2021 (slightly flexible)
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2021 (not flexible)
Interested applicants should email the following documents to the project PI, Dr. Parth R. Chauhan (parthrc[at]iisermohali.ac.in)
- Formal cover letter
- A short letter of motivation (maximum one page describing past accomplishments, research interests and career goals)
- Complete CV
- One letter of recommendation
Please use “STARS lab post” in the email subject. Hard copies will NOT be accepted.
The monthly salary will be a consolidated amount of Rs. 14,000/- (INR). The laboratory assistant will be hired for a period of 1 year from the joining date. Additionally, the hired lab assistant will have to sign a contract which will be according to the time commitment the individual can provide.
The project grant will also cover all required lab expenses including consumables and related materials. The lab assistant will be responsible for finding and paying for their own local accommodations, food and daily T.A./D.A. for commuting purposes to BSIP from their residence. Also, an experience certificate will be provided at the end of the work.