Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai, is a premier institute dedicated to the intense multi-disciplinary research supporting the ambitious nuclear energy programme of India.
BARC is empowering young, talented and motivated students to contribute to pathbreaking discoveries in frontier areas of scientific research and cutting-edge technologies by offering Junior Research Fellowships in the areas of Physical, Chemical and Biological Sciences.
Applications are invited from interested students for the award of Junior Research Fellowships at this Centre. All the selected candidates will register for Ph.D. in Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI a deemed to be University of Department of Atomic Energy).
No. of Fellowships
Areas of Research Projects in Science Disciplines
- Physical Sciences: Charged Particle Accelerator Development, Nuclear Physics using Accelerators, Neutrino related experiments, Astrophysics using gamma-ray Telescopes, Plasma Physics, Laser based Physics, Spectroscopy of Atoms and Molecules, Condensed Matter Physics at low temperature, High Pressure and Magnetic fields, Crystallography, thin films, Nano materials, Optics, Physics of sensors and detectors, Synchrotron Radiation and Neutron scattering based experiments and Computational & Theoretical Physics.
- Chemical Sciences: Nuclear and radiochemistry, actinide chemistry, radiopharmaceuticals, radiation processing, solid state and high temperature chemistry, nuclear materials, nano materials, electrochemistry, spectroscopy, chemistry using lasers, advanced separation techniques, analytical sciences, materials for energy conversion and storage, chemical sensors, biomaterials, polymers, computational chemistry, active pharmaceuticals ingredients.
- Life Sciences: Mutation breeding, plant & agriculture biotechnology, radiation effects on cells, radio-resistance, prokaryotic stress biology, bioremediation, genetic engineering, radiation treatment of food, food preservation & packaging, biosensors, cancer biology & diagnostics, cancer therapeutics, immunology, microbiome, TB diagnostics & treatment, biofilms & biofouling, thermal ecology, structural biology of proteins.
The Centre also encourages high quality inter-disciplinary research in areas relevant to its programmes.
The candidate must be an Indian national. The candidate should be less than 28 years of age as on last date for receipt of application. Age relaxation is applicable up to 3 years in case of Other Backward Class applicants, 5 years in case of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe applicants and 10 years in case of persons with disabilities applicants.
- Candidates should have consistently good academic record and should have secured minimum of 60% aggregate in B.Sc. and 55% aggregate in M.Sc. from a recognized University.
- Candidates those who have completed and awaiting the final results of M.Sc. Degree may also apply. However, such candidates should necessarily attach copies of the mark sheets of B.Sc. Degree and a copy of M.Sc. first year mark sheet(s) along with the application. Such candidates should have scored marks above 60% aggregate until the previous semester/year and minimum aggregate of 60% in B.Sc. level. In case such candidates eventually join the Fellowship, they shall have acquired aggregate marks of 55% in the qualifying degrees.
- Candidates with five years integrated M.Sc. degree should have secured minimum of 55% aggregate in M.Sc./B.S.-M.S. (Dual degree).
- In case appearing candidates are selected for JRF, they should secure 55% marks in aggregate in the M.Sc. examination and submit their M.Sc. Degree and mark sheet by July 01, 2021, failing which their candidature may be terminated
- Relevant certificates to this effect should be submitted at the time of joining the Centre. Wherever the results are declared as CGPA/GPA, it may be converted to percentage and entered. (The formula prescribed by the institute for conversion to be indicated at the time of verification).
- Applications will be scrutinized and candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their academic performance and score obtained in the Qualifying Examination.
- A first screening will be made based on previous academic records of the applicants.
- A further shortlisting of candidates will be made based on the performance in nationwide screening test (Qualifying Examination).
- Application fee of 500/- (Rupees five hundred only) is payable at the time of submission of online application. Mode of payment of the Application Fee is only through Online.
- The application fee is exempted for Women candidates and candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Person with Disabilities.
Candidates called for the interview will be reimbursed to and fro Third AC railway fare by the shortest route (subject to production of original tickets) as per rules.
The selected candidates are eligible to join the Contributory Health Services Scheme of this Centre as applicable.
Limited hostel accommodation is available. The selected candidates will be provided with subsidized bachelor Hostel Accommodation for an initial period of one year only. The candidates will be assisted to get accommodation on rental basis. The candidate who could not be provided with accommodation is entitled for HRA @ 24% of the Fellowship.
Fellowship and Tenure
- The selected candidates will be initially taken as Junior Research Fellows (JRF) and will be paid a stipend of 31,000/- per month. The fellowship will be provided initially for a period of two years. Continuation of the fellowship is subject to satisfactory performance and review at the end of each year.
- On satisfactory performance, the tenure of Fellowship will be further extended and upgraded to Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) from the third year onwards with a stipend of 35000/- per month (consolidated). The total period of the fellowship shall in no case exceed five years. They are entitled for contingency grant including book allowance of 40,000/- per year.
- In addition, the fellows are entitled for House Rent Allowance of 7440/- p.m.(JRF) and 8400/- p.m. (SRF), if not in occupation of Government accommodation.
How to Apply?
- Interested applicants can apply for the post through this link.
- Applications will be accepted ONLINE only. Candidate should not apply multiple applications.
Jan 15, 2021
For more details, click the link below.