Applications are invited from eligible candidates to work as a Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in a Research Project funded by NRIDA, Ministry of Rural Development in the Department of CSIS, BITS Pilani, (Pilani campus), Rajasthan.
AI-enabled drone-based remote health assessment of PMGSY roads
No. of Posts
Project/ Position Description
JRF/PhD position under NRIDA project
This project is aimed at creating a high-resolution geospatial dataset of the Indian PMGSY road network which will consequently be used to determine the health of the road network using AI and Deep Learning techniques.
It is a highly interdisciplinary project and the Junior Research Fellow (JRF) would get an opportunity to be guided by the project investigators during his tenure.
The candidate would get an opportunity to work on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and to learn the advanced techniques to process the collected imagery using Computer Vision.
He will also get exposure to cutting-edge hardware like NVIDIA RTX, NVIDIA Jetson Nano. As a part of the project, the JRF will also get an opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers in India and across the world.
About the Project Investigators
- Pratik Narang: Dr. Pratik Narang is currently an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at BITS Pilani. He has held research positions with the National University of Singapore and the New York University. He has over 50 publications in leading journals/conferences and active collaborations with leading researchers in the domain of AI/ML.
- AP Singh: Prof. AP Singh is currently Dean (AUGSD) at BITS Pilani and holds 20+ years’ experience in research and teaching. He has published nearly 150 research papers in reputed journals/conferences and has multiple R&D projects to his credit.
- Harish Puppala: Dr. Harish Puppala holds a Ph.D. from BITS Pilani. He is working as an Assistant Professor at BML Munjal University, an initiative by Hero Group. He has been working in the domain of Geographical Information Systems. He is a certified Drones operations management professional.
- Rallapalli Srinivas: Dr. Srinivas has done his Postdoc at the University of Minnesota, USA, where he worked with UAV-based LiDAR data. He is currently serving as Assistant Professor in BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus. He is actively collaborating with the University of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, and the University of Minnesota for his research work.
- M.E / M. Tech in Computer Science or Equivalent degree. Please note that candidates having MCA degree or B.E. degree in domains like Civil Engg, Mechanical Engg. etc. are not eligible. Additionally, the applying candidates should have a good academic record.
- GATE/NET qualification is preferred but not mandatory.
- Good written and spoken English, some experience of technical writing.
- The candidate must have good prior knowledge and hands-on experience of Machine learning.
- Candidates with prior knowledge of road survey and/or drone-based survey will be given preference
Rs. 31,000/- per month consolidated.
Note: Non-GATE/NET candidates may be considered for lower emoluments
How to Apply?
- Candidates should email their detailed CV to the PI (PI (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 10th December 2021 with subject of the mail as ‘Application for JRF position – NRIDA project’.
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed through email for the Online interview (Skype/ Google meet).
- Students having their own funding (e.g. through UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET scholarship) and who wish to work on the areas AI/Deep Learning/Computer Vision may feel free to contact the PI. Candidates with UGC-NET funding or funding from any other sources would be considered for direct admittance to the PhD program under the PI.
- Selected candidate will be encouraged to join Ph.D. program of BITS-Pilani as per institute rules.
- For any queries regarding the position, please feel free to email the PI (Dr.Pratik Narang).
- If performance of candidate is found unsatisfactory, position can be terminated with 1-month notice.
- The interview will be online.
Dec 10, 2021