Applications are invited for the position of Junior Research Fellow (JRF) tenable at one of the premier research institutions in India, the Space Physics Laboratory (SPL) of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram. VSSC is one of the lead centers of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
Space Physics Laboratory conducts front ranking research in different disciplines of Atmospheric, Space, and Planetary Sciences. SPL is also involved in major space and atmospheric science programmes of the country, such as Chandrayaan, Mars Mission, ISRO-Geosphere Biosphere Programme, etc. SPL has a very vibrant research fellowship programme, with strength of about 20 to 25 students at any time of the year. Well-equipped laboratories and major experimental facilities are available exclusively for these studies, besides access to the scientific data from ISRO’s and other satellites
Junior Research Fellow (12)
- MSc. Degree in Physics/ Applied Physics/ Space Physics/ Atmospheric Science/ Meteorology/ Planetary Sciences with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks (average of all semesters) or CGPA/CPI grading of 6.84 on a 10 point scale or equivalent OR,
- M.Tech in Atmospheric Science/ Space Science/ Planetary Science/ Applied Physics with minimum 60% marks as the average of all semesters in aggregate or CGPA/CPI grading of 6.5 on a 10 point scale or equivalent
- Applicants should also have qualified one of the following: CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test, including NET-Lectureship; Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by MHRD; Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST).
The selection of JRF will be based on the performance of the interview. Initial screening of applications will be conducted to short-list meritorious candidates for interview. The qualification prescribed is the minimum requirement and the same does not automatically make candidates eligible for interviews. The interview will be scheduled at VSSC, Thiruvananthapuram. The call letter for the interview will be sent to the short-listed candidates by e-mail. The result of the interview will be announced on the VSSC website subsequently.
At the time of interview the candidates are required to produce original documents of the following:
- Originals of all certificates, mark sheets, Ph.D. degree in proof of educational qualification, [Equivalency Certificate in case of foreign Degree] Proof of work experience, age etc.
- No Objection Certificate, from the employer concerned in respect of those applicants who are employed under Central/State Government/Public Sector Undertakings/Autonomous Bodies.
The selected JRFs will work on specific research themes and can register for a Ph.D. degree. Selected candidates should be willing to work anywhere in India (including remote places) and partake in field experiments including aircraft and ship cruises, as per the requirements.
The Fellowship is initially for a period of ONE YEAR and is renewable annually for a total period of FIVE years. There will be a review of the activity every year for the renewal of the fellowship.
The Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) carries an amount of Rs.31,000 per month, with a possibility to be increased to Rs.35,000/- as Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), after two years, on successful completion and review of research work of the previous two years by a review committee. Candidates are eligible for HRA as per the rules of VSSC. The research fellows will not be entitled to Dearness Allowance (DA).
How to Apply?
Upon on-line registration, applicants will be provided with an on-line Registration Number, which should be carefully preserved for future reference. The candidates are also advised to take a print out of the online application for future reference.
Scanned copy of the following documents (as a single pdf document) should also be uploaded by the candidate while applying online;
- M.Sc./ M.Tech. Degree certificate and consolidated mark sheet.
- GATE / NET/ JEST score sheet/ award letter.
- Proof of age.
- Proof for SC/ST/OBC (if applicable).
Interested candidates can apply online by clicking here. The last date to apply is July 19, 2021.
You might also be interested in: