The National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore invites applications for the post of Junior Research Fellow at the institute.
National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore is a premier institute in India engaged in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research in natural sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities. It was founded by J.R.D. Tata for providing an avenue for administrators, managers, and social leaders for interaction and exchange of information with notable academics in the areas of science, arts, and humanities.
Junior Research Fellow (01)
About the Project
Understanding causal relationships (directed functional connectivity) between different units of the brain are of high significance in cognitive neuroscience and consciousness research. Several causality testing methods have been proposed in the literature to unearth causal relationships between brain regions from time series recordings of neural activity.
This Cognitive Science Research Initiative (CSRI), Department of Science & Technology (DST) funded project aims to critically and rigorously examine causality testing methods, their underlying mathematical principles and properties, and their role in scientific theories of consciousness.
The JRF will be required to read research papers pertaining to causality testing (such as Granger Causality, Transfer Entropy, and others), measures of consciousness (such a Causal Density and others), and implement the same in MATLAB/ Python/ C/ C++. The job will also involve reading journal papers, studying the underlying mathematical principles of these methods, and analyzing results on both simulated and real-world data sets. A good amount of research work is envisaged.
- Graduate/ Post-Graduate degree in Professional Course i.e., B.E/ B.Tech/ M.E/ M.Tech (in Computer Science, Computer Engg., Electronics & Comm. Engg., Electrical & Electronics Engg., or related disciplines) or M.Sc. (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Electronics, Cognitive Neuroscience or related disciplines), selected through National Eligibility Tests – CSIR-UGC NET and GATE.
- Previous work experience is not mandatory, but the candidate must have a strong background in computational techniques and sound mathematical background.
- Comfortable with programming in MATLAB/ Python is a must.
Basic fellowship of INR 31,000 + HRA @ 24% which amounts to a total amount of INR 38,440/- (per month).
How to Apply?
Interested applicants should submit their curriculum vitae electronically (as a single PDF document)
along with the following documents:-
- Covering letter (with latest CV)
- Statement of Purpose
- Copy of degree certificate and GATE/ NET qualification certificates.
The applications should be addressed to (with subject line ‘JRF-CSRI’) email@example.com. The last date to apply is August 31, 2021.
You might also be interested in:
- Project Fellow Under RUSA 2.0 Funded Project at University of Madras: Apply by July 22
- Senior Research Fellowship at NIAB, Hyderabad: Apply by July 21