The John Locke Institute encourages young people to cultivate the characteristics that turn good students into great writers: independent thought, depth of knowledge, clear reasoning, critical analysis, and persuasive style. Our Essay Competition invites students to explore a wide range of challenging and interesting questions beyond the confines of the school curriculum.
Entering an essay in our competition can build knowledge, and refine skills of argumentation. It also gives students the chance to have their work assessed by experts. All of our essay prizes are judged by senior academics from the University of Oxford. The judges will choose their favorite essay from each subject category and an overall ‘best essay’ across seven subjects: Philosophy, Politics, Economics, History, Psychology, Theology, and Law.
- Entry is open to students from any country and any school.
- Candidates must be eighteen years old, or younger, on the date of the submission deadline, 15 July 2020.
- Candidates for the Junior Prize must be fourteen years old, or younger, on the date of the submission deadline.
- Each essay should address only one of the questions in your chosen subject category, and must not exceed 2000 words (not counting diagrams, tables of data, footnotes, bibliography or authorship declaration).
- The title of the pdf attachment should read SURNAME, First Name (e.g. POPHAM, Alexander).
- There is a prize for the best essay in each subject category. Each subject prize is worth £100, and the essays will be published (with the authors’ permission) on the Institute website.
- The prize-giving ceremony will take place in Oxford, at which winners and runners-up will be able to meet the judges and other faculty members of the John Locke Institute.
- Family, friends, and teachers are also welcome, subject to capacity constraints.
- The candidate who submits the best essay overall will be awarded an honorary John Locke Institute Junior Fellowship, worth £500.
- The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Interested candidates can register online by clicking here.
- Essays will be judged on the level of knowledge and understanding of the relevant material, the quality of argumentation, the structure, writing style, and persuasive force.
- The last date to submit your essays is July 15, 2020.
Phone Number: +44 (0)1865 566166
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org