ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic Indian Nationals for the position of Technical Officer – Operations for the Research Program Asia/Crop Improvement theme at its Patancheru research station. The successful candidate will work with a professional team and handle on-field/farm operations.
He/She will get exposed to new breeding technologies and shall be responsible to deliver outputs as per crop schedule. The position is critical as it helps deliver experiments on-field and is contributing to the crop improvement operations/breeding of ICRISAT mandate crops. The individual will report to the Crop Improvement Operations Team (CIOT) Lead and be part of an aspiring team that is conducting agricultural research on path-breaking ideas in the semi-arid tropics.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
- Handles breeding operations like nurseries, trials, seed production, screening for stresses, crossing blocks etc.
- Implements seasonal plans in the respective crop/field experiments using QC markers to produce hybrid products
- Adopts industry best practices wrt field operations and adheres to the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Monitors the team on activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, grading, processing and storage
- Ensures consistency in handling all crop improvement operations by the team
- Drives quality adoption wrt ICRISAT mandate crops through extensive research on technical strategies
- Participates in any other work that is assigned by the scientist pertaining to data management, reporting and records maintenance
- Guides the team in consultation with scientific officers and scientists from time-to-time on necessary techniques, processes and flows information on roles/schedules/responsibilities
- Escalates to CIOT Lead any issue affecting the timely delivery of results
- Coordinates with necessary internal department stakeholders based on crop/experiment allocation
- Implements all crop improvement operations according to established timeframes and schedules
- Delivers all crop improvement operations consistently according to established quality standards and SOPs
- Identifies innovative on-field practices, processes that will save time and improve output
- Masters in Genetics & Plant Breeding/Agronomy/ Biology (or Soil Science, Pathology, Entomology, Physiology)
- At least 5 years of on-field experience in crop cultivation and breeding operations
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience managing research operations and farm operations. Preferred exposure to greenhouse activities
- Strong communication (Speaking and writing in English) and knowledge of local language (Telugu)
- Quick learner with a go-getter attitude. Able to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments
- Demonstrated skills in managing efficiency, quality aspects, and consistency across different crops
- Experience in managing a team of skilled/semi-skilled technicians.
- Result orientation with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/priorities simultaneously
- Knowledge of MS office suite and any technical statistical software
- Valid Driver’s License is necessary
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) cadre position, initially for a period of 36 months (3 years’) renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the post through this link.
May 20, 2021
For more details, click the link below.