The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), is pleased to announce a Senior Research Associate position for a new EdTech project, to improve the learning levels of secondary school children in Andhra Pradesh. This position is based in Vijayawada.
The selected candidate will work with Andy de Barros (Harvard Graduate School of Education) and Jalnidh Kaur (Columbia University Teachers College) to design, implement, and analyze a new, state-wide education study of large-scale Personal Adaptive Learning (PAL). This new project will directly collaborate with the state government, Central Square Foundation (CSF), and other external partners.
The position is designed to help the selected candidate prepare for graduate-level studies in quantitative research and/or further professional opportunities in impact evaluation. The position also requires large-scale project management, staff oversight, and high-level partner communications – therefore, the position also lends itself to those pursuing advanced careers in public management and evidence-based policy.
The ideal candidate will be tech-savvy, comfortable handling and visualizing large amounts of data, and with a solid understanding of educational research. More particularly, we are looking for the following qualifications.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, political science, computer science, public policy, international development, or other related fields. Significant training in and a strong technical understanding of randomized impact evaluations is a plus.
- At least 2-3 years of relevant experience is preferred, including quantitative data analysis. Experience in conducting field research in developing countries is a strong plus. Experience in education and/or related research is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of data management, data analysis, and econometrics is required; must have a good command of Stata or have knowledge of R, Python, or other analytics programs plus the ability and willingness to quickly learn Stata.
- Knowledge of data visualization tools is a strong plus (such as R, Data Studio, or Tableau).
- Experience overseeing large-scale projects required.
- Experience liaising with an external partner organization required.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely required.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Other language requirements: Telugu (strongly preferred) and Hindi (preferred)
- Assisting the Principal Investigators in developing instruments for each round of data collection;
- Collaborating with and overseeing a Research Associate;
- Digitizing the data collection instruments on Survey CTO;
- Training enumerators on data collection instruments;
- Managing teams (recruit, train, supervise field-based and data operations teams);
- Monitoring the quality of the implementation of interventions; developing process monitoring instruments and visualizing incoming data;
- Overseeing all rounds of data collection for the randomized evaluation, and ensure that it complies with standards for data quality;
- Financial oversight;
- Assisting with applications to local and international institutional review boards;
- Setting up cadence for keeping CSF and other partners updated on the project; and
- Writing high-quality documents for the evaluation, including training manuals, process reports, and reports of results from the different rounds of data collection.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates can apply for the post through this link.