JOB POST: Research Support Assistant at Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab: Application Open
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research centre working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty and builds partnerships with governments, NGOs, donors, and others to generate new research, share knowledge, and scale up effective programs. As of 2018, more than 400 million people have been reached by scale-ups of programs found to be effective by J-PAL affiliates’ research.
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) seeks qualified applicants for positions as Research Support Assistants for projects on agriculture, education, environment, finance, health, labour, and governance in locations around the world. The projects study a variety of topics within the previously listed fields. The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The Impact of Formal Mechanization Access on Agricultural Productivity and Informal Rental Markets
- This project, in partnership with one of the biggest providers of rental agricultural equipment in India, aims to estimate the impact of equipment rental on-farm productivity, adoption of technology and labour-saving activities. The project surveys farmers and equipment providers to characterize their equipment usage patterns, and their main challenges to adopting technologies in Karnataka and Bihar. The study also conducts a randomized control trial in Karnataka to understand how the provision of subsidy to improve access to formal rental markets affects informal rental service providers and agricultural productivity.
- The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand research experience, especially in field operations and working with data. This research team is headed by Prof. Julieta Caunedo (Cornell University) and Prof. Namrata Kala (MIT).
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics (or related field) or Engineering
- Prior experience with field data collection is desired but not necessary
- Familiarity with impact evaluations and randomized controlled trials is required
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency in Hindi and English and strong communication skills are required. Fluency in Kannada is preferred
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Willingness to live in Bengaluru, Karnataka and Bihar and travel extensively to field locations
- Basic knowledge of STATA or other data analysis tool
- Attention to detail, ability to solve unexpected problem and adaptability to unstructured and changing environments and project demands
- Experience living in a developing country and/or liaising with government officials is desired but not necessary
- Proficiency in STATA (or other tools such as R, SPSS etc.) is desired
Less than one year
Roles and Responsibilities
The RSA will work closely with academic researchers, research associates and other project field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Assisting with the implementation of field and project activities in association with our partner organizations.
- Maintaining relationships with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels.
- Assisting with capacity building activities for project stakeholders.
- Monitoring implementation teams: train and supervise both field-based and data operations team consisting of project associate, field-based surveyors, data entry operators and other office staff.
- Producing daily data tracking sheets to monitor industry activity and ensure continuous follow-ups with partner organisations.
- Assisting with data analysis, and preparation of documents/presentations for dissemination
- Work with Research Associates on all the above
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply for the post through this link.
For further details, click here.
About the Author